Change refresh rate from 60 to 50 Hz?

Paddan1000

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have a Blackvue DR650S-CH1. Wherever I'm driving the recorded light from traffic lights and illuminated road signs seem to oscillate instead of displaying a steady glow. On my old G1W I could change the refresh rate from 60 to 50 Hz, which is the frequency of the power grid in my country, and the lights would stop flickering. Can I do something similar with the Blackvue?

But the flicker get much less noticeable with a refresh rate of 50 Hz. Blackvue, if you are reading this; please include this feature with your next firmware update!

Sure it makes a difference. Both my 15 dollar noname budget camera and my 40 dollar G1W both let me change the refresh rate to 50 Hz and both LED and incandescent lights from road signs, traffic lights etc. are perfectly steady with no flicker. I just checked old recordings to verify. My 300 dollar something Blackvue does not let me change the refresh rate and 30 seconds of watching the footage is giving me a migraine from all the flickering.

Sure it makes a difference. Both my 15 dollar noname budget camera and my 40 dollar G1W both let me change the refresh rate to 50 Hz and both LED and incandescent lights from road signs, traffic lights etc. are perfectly steady with no flicker. I just checked old recordings to verify. My 300 dollar something Blackvue does not let me change the refresh rate and 30 seconds of watching the footage is giving me a migraine from all the flickering.
If I were you I wouldn't challenge what the expert wrote. @jokiin knows what he's talking about. You old cameras might not flicker so much due to other things rather than the mains frequency value settings.

for LED lights it won't make a difference, only for incandescent lighting
Not true. At least not for all LED lamps. Skip to 5:50 in this video and see what is said about capacitive dropper LED bulbs, which would be pulsing at twice the mains frequency.

Edit> This just appeared in my recommended videos. Great timing.

Last edited:
Nice channel. Had suggested tearing down the recently discussed TKQA bank, I hope he does.

Not true. At least not for all LED lamps. Skip to 5:50 in this video and see what is said about capacitive dropper LED bulbs, which would be pulsing at twice the mains frequency.

Edit> This just appeared in my recommended videos. Great timing.

can't view your videos at the moment, issues with the Great Firewall of China

can't view your videos at the moment, issues with the Great Firewall of China
The jist of the videos is, these fancy new LED bulbs aren't as sophisticated as we'd like to believe. Their conversion of high voltage AC to low voltage DC for the LEDs is done as cheaply as possible. Far from having a switched mode power supply, they tend to have a handful of cheap components to rectify the AC and limit current enough to stop the LEDs burning up.

Not only can LEDs flicker, they can flicker worse than incandescent bulbs, which are incapable of flickering too badly because the filaments cannot heat up/cool down quickly. LEDs on the other hand can switch on/off almost instantly with each peak/trough of the rectified AC input. I would hope there are quality LED systems out there. But we know for sure there are bad ones!

Not only can LEDs flicker, they can flicker worse than incandescent bulbs,
for sure they are worse, there seems to be little in the way of standards as well, some may cycle at a mains related frequency but I think a great deal of them don't

Back