Changing focus to 10-40 cm, possible?

Domiel

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I got the Gitup git 2 for a specific purpose: I need it to sit in a well lit box and focus on objects around 10-40 cm away. The problem is that the image is very blurry at this distance.
1. Is it possible to change the lens focus so it will work?
2. How would i go about doing this?
3. If it's not possible for the GIT2 are there other action cameras(or small cameras) that can focus on objects at 10-40 cm away that anyone would recommend?

If you take the front cover off (4 screws and then a fingernail under the edge) you can then rotate the lens barrel to focus. You might have to remove a little glue first with a knife or small screwdriver.

Alternatively use a GoPro filter adaptor and a close focus filter. 52mm is a good filter size, less than that and you will get some vignetting. You need a close focus filter strength of around +4 ... +10 for that range if leaving the lens at standard focus. This method has a slight advantage of providing some magnification and easily being able to return to normal focus.

Using a close focus filter on the Git2:

Last edited:
I got the Gitup git 2 for a specific purpose: I need it to sit in a well lit box and focus on objects around 10-40 cm away. The problem is that the image is very blurry at this distance.
1. Is it possible to change the lens focus so it will work?
2. How would i go about doing this?
3. If it's not possible for the GIT2 are there other action cameras(or small cameras) that can focus on objects at 10-40 cm away that anyone would recommend?
Hello, Domiel:
I purchased these from on EbayUS, the 58 mm. adapter made for the Gopro Hero4, fits well the Git 2 lens barrel; 58 mm filters are also,available on Ebay. I bought a set of magnifying filters for less than $ 20.00, the adapter was around $5.00
I have found making videos of birds on our feeders + 10 filter and 10 cm.(3.93") works best!

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 7
@Nigel Try pearl millet for the little ones, they'll love it.

@Nigel Try pearl millet for the little ones, they'll love it.
Thanks for the recommendation, but the little blue tits are insect eaters not grain eaters. They are woodland birds and like caterpillars best but on cold winter days they also like to eat peanuts because of their fat content. I don't think they would touch millet. We do have seed eaters too but I don't get many around my house so don't normally bother to feed them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation, but the little blue tits are insect eaters not grain eaters. They are woodland birds and like caterpillars best but in on cold winter days they also like to eat peanuts because of their fat content. I don't think they would touch millet. We do have seed eaters too but I don't get many around my house so don't normally bother to feed them.

My mother keeps two large size mortars filled with fresh water and pearl millet on a ledge that's on the second floor, attracts many kinds of small to large birds. The branches of a peepal tree and two really tall mango trees near the ledge have given us the pleasure of quite a few rare sightings.

I'm trying to get rid of some nasty grackles here... They're noisy, destructive, and seem to be capable of defecating 5000 times their volume in a single day. Apparently those ultrasonic things don't work on them, so I may try one of those fake owl things... Hopefully the homeowners association won't do anything about that...

Last edited:
Fake owls don't work. Had one for years.
You can buy a motion detecting device that is mounted on an adjustable pole and hooked up to a water hose. When motion is detected, it shoots water at the birds. Scares the hell out of them. Look it up on Amazon.
Or you could shoot the bastards.

Unfortunately I live in a neighborhood where a motion sensing sprinkler would probably soak more humans than birds. And I doubt those shiny things you can supposedly hang in the trees would do anything for them either. Plus those look tacky as hell.

And I've thought about shooting them with my trusty Red Ryder, but since they only seem to be interested in my front yard, I imagine the neighbors wouldn't be too fond of me sitting there with what appears to be a rifle, and occasionally shouldering, aiming and firing it. Not to mention the chance of shooting out someone's car windows or chipping paint/denting cars (including my own), since there's so much drop over distance with this little BB gun. I already know it will kill them as I shot a few grackles in my back yard at my last house, but in general, even nearly silent BB guns aren't socially acceptable lately.

"ZOMG think of teh CHIRRENZZZ!!!" :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Hey guys thanks for the lens advice, and the bird-talk. I'll look into both approaches though the manual unscrewing one seems most appealing as there is no chance I will ever need the camera for anything else, so it seems like the cheaper option. Is there a video of someone doing this process anywhere? I'm not so handy...

Edit:
so I looked around on ebay and the lenses all come in +1 - to +10 versions. Which one would I be more likely to need for a focus area from 15-30 cm away from the lens? And whats the difference between a 52mm and a 58 mm lens?
Here is my prototype setup
The red square I drew is the area the camera needs to focus on. I got the camera connected to the screen streaming so it gotta look crisp and sharp at all times
Also I won't be able to have the camera in the waterproof case (as i need to have it connected to the screen) and there don't seem to be any adaptors for just the camera casing. Guess I have to readjust the lens myself...

Last edited:
Back