Charger stuck in cigarette lighter port

DirkT

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am powering the N1 with the car charger that came with it. The camera is working fine. But
I just discovered I cannot pull the charger out of the cigarette lighter port. It is locked in there.
I have pulled as hard as I dare to the point where I might break the port or dash. If I try to rotate
the charger, the whole port rotates in the dash.

Anyone else seen this?

That’s odd. Could it possibly be that the charger overheated and the plastic deformed to the point molded to the metal casing?

Thanks for the thought but I don't think so. I am really kicking myself for not looking at the lighter plug more
carefully before installation. It went in the port hard. I simply pushed harder to get it in. I should have stopped
and inspected it. After it went in, I did not try to remove it until the next day. That is when I found it was lock in there.
My concern is that there was something wrong with the outside contacts. That they did not compress or spring in
the way they should. Now they are locked on some feature inside the port.
Was just wondering if anyone had seen a bad plug before.
I am thinking I will need to get a pair of pliers and break the plug apart to get it out without damaging the
port. I will wait to do that, there is no rush.

What seems to have happened here is that the contacts on the sides of the plug are aligned with cut-outs in the socket, which has allowed them to spring out far enough to prevent removal.

If you can easily reach the socket from behind, feel around it for the spring contacts. Squeeze them in with one hand while wiggling and pulling the plug with the other hand.

If you can't get to it that way, find 2 stiff thin pieces of plastic which will slide between plug and socket from the front. Each of these should be about 20mm or 3/4" wide. Slip one in and feel where the plug's side contact is. slide the plastic back and reinsert it while trying to keep it centered on the contact. The plastic shim should reach about 32mm or 1 1/4" deep from the face of the socket. Do the other side similarly. Wiggle and pull and the plug should come out.

If the plastic bends, you can use metal instead but first pull the fuse for that socket and test that it is unpowered by trying the cam or by looking at any indicator LED which may be on the plug, If this method fails you'll probably have to disassemble the socket by unscrewing it's outer sleeve from behind. You may have to disassemble what it's mounted in to gain access. Again be sure the fuse is pulled and work gently.

In the future remember to align the plug at least one quarter turn from where it got stuck which should prevent a recurrence.

Phil

Good thoughts. I can remove the panel the port is in, without too much trouble. That
would give me access to the back to visually inspect the interaction between port and
plug.

That's probably the most certain method with the lowest risks if you're careful which I'm sure you will be.
Hope it goes easy and fast (y)

Phil

Back