Charging / external microphone cable test

qwarren

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi!

@gitup has sent me one of the new charging/external microphone cables for testing. I made a little video to show you something about my testing.

The video should be available in 1080p.

I received the same cable to test, but the connector to the mic is a female 3.5 mm jack, along with a short plug in extension.
But the Gitup brand mic I have uses a mini usb male connector, so I'm stuck.

The 3.5 mm jack is a wider spread standard for an action cam mic than a mini usb plug is. Microphones with usb plugs are rare exceptions, and as @gitup said in this forum there is no plan to offer another type of cable.

Well then why does the Gitup brand mic not use 3.5 mm jack? I bought their mic to be as compatible as possible, now I have to search for yet another adapter.

Here is a pic of the Getup brand mic and the cable I received. The short adapter cable should be mini usb female to 3.5 mm male.

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_182811829.png
    IMG_20170425_182811829.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 17
The cable and adapter look like mine. There is only one version of them.

The cable looks like mine too.
You have to buy a cheap microphone with 3,5mm connctor.
I did so.
Last weekend I tested the setup first time. The sound is better quality than with the internal microphone. And its pure luxury not to have chance the battery all the time while riding.
The video is in work.

Thanks guys. I just ordered a 3.5 mm mic.
There is no adapter on Earth to make the Gitup mic work. But that's cool.

The 3.5 mm jack is a wider spread standard for an action cam mic than a mini usb plug is. Microphones with usb plugs are rare exceptions, and as @gitup said in this forum there is no plan to offer another type of cable.
That's why we use 3.5mm jack version for this cable instead of mini USB version.

This is the first video of my new setup with external microphone an charging cable.

This is the first video of my new setup with external microphone an charging cable.
What power source? What microphone (type / stereo or mono)? What camera settings?

Power Source is a simple 10.000mAh USB power bank. The microphone is a cheap mono version. Git2 does only record mono. I use an extra big windshield, because of windy situations while pedaling.
enjoy

Last edited:
Git2 does only record mono
It's not the camera, it's the cable that turns the signal of a stereo mic into mono. So you seem to have the same issue with this cable.

Hi,

I have a question regarding this cable.

If you do have a stereo mic and use it with this cable, will it not work at all? Or will it simply pass a mono signal?

The reason I ask is that I have a T shaped (Fantaseal) stereo mic mounted inside the chinbar of my helmet and it's very very good with wind noise, especially if I'm speaking. I tried a mono mic tucked under the cheek padding of my helmet and the wind noise was atrocious.

@Superballs The signal of a stereo mic will be turned into mono. But I don't know if the resulting mono signal is a mix of both microphone capsules or only from one of them.

@Superballs The signal of a stereo mic will be turned into mono. But I don't know if the resulting mono signal is a mix of both microphone capsules or only from one of them.

Thanks, I think I can live with that.

Now I just need to figure out a good way to ensure mono doesn't just come out of one speaker...I can do that in post I'm sure, but if it will work, that's a relief I really like this mic I have and the chin strap mount I use for the GIT2 not only holds it in place, but also provides some additional wind protection, even if it does cause the visor to stay open a crack.

figure out a good way to ensure mono doesn't just come out of one speaker
If it does so then it is not mono anymore, because both speakers would receive a different signal, and that is called "stereo" :)

The mono audio will come from both speakers simultaneously.

If it does so then it is not mono anymore, because both speakers would receive a different signal, and that is called "stereo" :)

The mono audio will come from both speakers simultaneously.

That would be the desired result.

Plugging a mono microphone to the camera to test last night, and sound only came from the right speaker, instead of identical sound coming out of both.

Again, if that is what happens, it can be fixed later.

Plugging a mono microphone to the camera to test last night, and sound only came from the right speaker
Sounds as if the adapter cable was made for stereo mics.
On windows just do a right click at the video file and check the properties. There you can find information about the audio (mono/stereo), if you want to check if everything went right or not.

Back