Chased by a crazy bicycle, and got hit at the train station

Saab is probably more rare than a Ferrari here, never see them :)

From the yt comments, I see dashcams are illegal in Sweden. What happens if you get caught? Hope the cops don't give you a good beating like they would here.

Well, my install makes it almost impossible to see the camera, see my install video if you are curious:

But still, police here in Sweden are pretty chill anyway ;)

Just the kind of cyclist I love. Adopts a ridiculous position causing inconvenience for no reason and not caring about the impact on others. Has complete disregard for safety. And thinks he is entitled to give orders to motorists.
There are many like that here, I imagine there are even more in mainland Europe. I don't know why the authorities pander to these fools.

Just the kind of cyclist I love. Adopts a ridiculous position causing inconvenience for no reason and not caring about the impact on others. Has complete disregard for safety. And thinks he is entitled to give orders to motorists.
There are many like that here, I imagine there are even more in mainland Europe. I don't know why the authorities pander to these fools.
in that respect i'm kinda glad that houston is such a large, sprawling city. it's not really practical to ride your bike places due to distance. and the heat. so the only ones you see out riding (outside downtown/city center anyway) are semi-pro riders who take it very seriously and actually follow the laws as they should. the kind of folks who ride in events like the MS150, among others. other than that it's just kids on neighborhood streets, who usually get out of the way when they see/hear a car.

when i go riding, it's through the woods, where there's shade. and elevation changes. and lots and lots of turns. and silence. i've never understood the appeal of riding on the road with cars/trucks/etc. i ride to get away from all that.

Are Saab's back in production yet?

Not really. There's still something called NEVS that looks like a Saab, but IMO Saab died back in 2011. Still makes me sad, love those quirky cars :'(

Yeah, really the worst kind. I don't have a rear cam yet, but had I recorded *that* view you'd understand that we felt unsafe even though we were inside of a car.

in that respect i'm kinda glad that houston is such a large, sprawling city. it's not really practical to ride your bike places due to distance. and the heat. so the only ones you see out riding (outside downtown/city center anyway) are semi-pro riders who take it very seriously and actually follow the laws as they should. the kind of folks who ride in events like the MS150, among others. other than that it's just kids on neighborhood streets, who usually get out of the way when they see/hear a car.

when i go riding, it's through the woods, where there's shade. and elevation changes. and lots and lots of turns. and silence. i've never understood the appeal of riding on the road with cars/trucks/etc. i ride to get away from all that.

I have been bike-commuting for many years, so I know the struggle of some bikers. I have a lot of respect for those who do it, but the guy in the video...well...

I have been bike-commuting for many years, so I know the struggle of some bikers. I have a lot of respect for those who do it, but the guy in the video...well...
I tried commuting by bike when I was a mechanic and lived about a mile from the shop. It was OK to show up to work sweaty since we get sweaty during the day anyway. Only problem was finding a place to store my bike.

As for respect... People seem to have forgotten the golden rule.

From the yt comments, I see dashcams are illegal in Sweden.
If they were there wouldn't be so many Swedish dashcammers posting videos on YT.

If they were there wouldn't be so many Swedish dashcammers posting videos on YT.
Things being illegal doesn't mean you can't do it, just that you shouldn't. It could be one of those obscure laws that was put in place ages ago that few know about, including police, and thus isn't really enforced.

It could be one of those obscure laws that was put in place ages ago that few know about, including police, and thus isn't really enforced.
That's very unlikely to happen in a country like Sweden.

Back