Cheap Batteries

GJHS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius A & C, SJ4000, M10, Mini 0806, Innovv C3,4, Xiaomi Yi
Just to warn everyone about buying cheap batteries or USB battery packs.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like they named they product accordingly to cause an UltraFire
Given the gunpowder that came out of the red one, I think they meant a different meaning of "fire"!

UltraFire (also producer of TrustFire) is a well known Chinese manufacturer of flashlights, batteries, chargers and accessories and they've been in business a long time. Their products are not of the absolute highest quality but they don't produce crap either.

The products shown in GJHS's post are all cheap rip-off clones of real UltraFire batteries just like so many other things coming out of China. This is the price one pays for success and hard work over there.

Years ago, (2010) I bought some blue Ultrafire 18650 batteries as well as an UltraFire 501B flashlight (a once popular "classic" in certain circles but now discontinued because it was cloned over and over) and they worked and performed fine and are still in service. Personally, I don't buy these kind of Chinese cells at this point and opt for more mainstream high quality brands with proven performance like Panasonic, Redilast or AW purchased from reliable vendors. On the other hand, you can purchase UltraFire batteries with confidence if you buy from a well known, trustworthy supplier who will provide you with the real thing, just like with dash cams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Yes it's well known to the light community to avoid any "Fire" brand batteries from an untrusted source. The exception is SureFire which is a high quality American light company and still make sure you are buying from a trusted source.

My point wasn't to bash UltraFire, it was for you to see the dangers in buying unknown quality cells and USB battery packs because of not knowing what batteries are in them and not charing them unattended. The examples are UltraFire because of how cloned the brand is.

Last edited:
Yes it's well known to the light community to avoid any "Fire" brand batteries from an untrusted source. The exception is SureFire which is a high quality American light company and still make sure you are buying from a trusted source.

My point wasn't to bash UltraFire, it was for you to see the dangers in buying unknown quality cells and USB battery packs because you don't know what batteries are in them and you shouldn't charge them unattended.

I agree. I just wanted to clarify the "clone" issue here. At this point I might still consider certain "Fire" branded flashlights worthy of purchase but I don't recommend buying "Fire" batteries, even if they are the real deal.

It's good that GJHS brought this up. Caution is always warranted buying batteries or packs from China.

Last edited:
I purchased some Trustfire batteries in 2010, that I believe to be genuine, I still use them, but they get charged in a "fireproof container."

I purchased some Trustfire batteries in 2010, that I believe to be genuine, I still use them, but they get charged in a "fireproof container."

For a long time I used to do that too using firebricks. After years of never having the slightest problem I stopped doing that but I do keep a sharp eye on them while charging. My understanding is that many of those horror stories about lithium-ion cells are less likely to happen in more recent versions, even with Chinese batteries, (not all though) but that's not to say it can't happen. The trick I think is to carefully observe proper maintenance and voltage monitoring during the cell's lifetime. Also, I never use unprotected cells. Many of those exploding during charging stories from the past were with early unprotected cells.

The cells I have are protected, but as I live in a rental apartment I'm probably a little more paranoid than I need to be.

The cells I have are protected, but as I live in a rental apartment I'm probably a little more paranoid than I need to be.
It's not the fire that's the real problem it's breathing the gas that comes out. So if they pop, hold your breath

Reactions: map
It's not the fire that's the real problem it's breathing the gas that comes out. So if they pop, hold your breath

If i read this correctly...

The Chinese clone artists have decided that if they can not roast you with fire they will poison you with gas.

No wonder I have concerns about buying anything that says China on it.

Last edited:
The Chinese clone artists have decided that is they can not roast you with fire they will poison you with gas.

that's a side benefit I guess ;)

all in seriousness there's good and bad from everywhere, price is very often an indicator and it shouldn't really surprise anyone that the cheapest stuff carries higher risks

in seriousness there's good and bad from everywhere, price is very often an indicator and it shouldn't really surprise anyone that the cheapest stuff carries higher risks

The problem is simple. Often resellers are more than willing to sell an item they purchase at $15 for $200 to me. I have seen the same exact branded part selling for $600 and $2,500. The higher price was from someone hoping to find a sucker. This proves that price alone is never a guarantee of quality. I have yet to find a way to prove that any product has quality until after my money is gone. Only then can I know for sure if my money was well spent or wasted.

I once bought a hammer that broke. The head fell off. the crystals in the metal were huge. It must have been pure cast iron with a large amount of impurities.

I missed that one. I remember the pet food killing off a lot of cats and dogs. I remember the melamine in the milk. As a result I try to avoid all food from China. I guess adding diseases is the latest battle tactic against us?

If i read this correctly...

The Chinese clone artists have decided that if they can not roast you with fire they will poison you with gas.

It's any battery, if they pop and you breathe in that gas you could do permanent damage.

Price alone is never an indication, for that matter neither is where something claims to be made, a lot of products that claim to be made in other countries are made in China

What is nasty in the gas? I thought it was mainly hydrogen and perfectly safe, obviously smoke from burning plastic isn't good but your not going to breath much of that without noticing.

Hydrogen Fluoride gas can be emmitted from Lipo batteries during cumbustion which can cause permanent damage if inhaled or gets on your skin. So if a battery pops get away fast!

Hydrogen Fluoride gas can be emmitted from Lipo batteries during cumbustion which can cause permanent damage if inhaled or gets on your skin.
it may, but the percentage is small. The problem comes when there is no control on those who built it:
rg4dc0PrW97SAshn

http://www.rechargebatteries.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Li-ion-safety-July-9-2013-Recharge-.pdf

Upon contact with moisture, including tissue, hydrogen fluoride immediately converts to hydrofluoric acid, which is highly corrosive and toxic, and requires immediate medical attention upon exposure.[28] Breathing in hydrogen fluoride at high levels or in combination with skin contact can cause death from an irregular heartbeat or from fluid buildup in the lungs.[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride

Back