Cheap decent cam - for rear

Bricksmasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x Mobius
Hi

Just looking for some suggestions please, sister has a decent front dashcam but considering one for the rear too, figured front generally is more important, so looking for a fairly inexpensive but decent enough camera for the rear, if any suggestions please?

Based in UK if that helps too

cheers

What's your definition of "inexpensive"?

shes not really given me a budget, Im guessing around the £50 mark as her front one was over £100 and is pretty good, but just wanted a rear one now too, just not wanting to spend as much on the rear one as she did the front one

If most of her driving is during daylight hours, the Mobius should suffice. If not, the budget needs to be increased a bit towards decent low-light performance, especially required if driving around on dimly lit or intermittently lit roads.

If the form-factor works, my cheapest recommendation is the G1W-HC. Though the daytime vids aren't great, the G1W-S does very well at night. Both use super-caps, both accept 64GB cards. G1W-HC from Gearbest is around $35US, and the G1W-S from OCD Tronics US is $55US. I own and like both :) Look at posted vids for G1W-H and G1W-S on the web to see what you'll get. If you never drive at night, the G1W-HC is the better of these two. If you drive at night more than rarely get the G1W-S. The nighttime difference is substantial and IMHO well worth having :cool:

Phil

I think gear best has the old a118 (I think V1) for 35 right now. Shipping will take forever though.

it's not the old one, it's a newer knockoff version
I found it by going through the dash cam talk link under recommended places to buy the a118. Are you sure it's a knockoff?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I found it by going through the dash cam talk link under recommended places to buy the a118. Are you sure it's a knockoff?

yes, they sell the copy version, they did previously sell the original version as well but pretty sure they stopped selling that already and only do the cheaper copy now

yes, they sell the copy version, they did previously sell the original version as well but pretty sure they stopped selling that already and only do the cheaper copy now
I guess I'll get what I paid for. Contacting gear best is nearly impossible. Worst comes to worst is that I bought myself a mediocre rear cam and will spend an appropriate amount for a quality front cam.

I guess I'll get what I paid for. Contacting gear best is nearly impossible. Worst comes to worst is that I bought myself a mediocre rear cam and will spend an appropriate amount for a quality front cam.

it's ok, not the worst cam out there, for rear cam duties it could be fine for what you need

Once you start getting over AU$100 .. I'd be tending to opt for the jump in Quality and go the VIOFO A119.. then you could use it for backup for your front camera if need be..
Problem for a rear .. is that it is too large. Ideally it should be no larger than a mini.. and even better .. the size of Jokiin's new SG Dual rear camera.

I rather like the idea of the lens only for the rear window and the guts being up front under the dash somewhere.

My idea of 'inexpensive' is up to AU$120 .. but then .. you still need to get at least a 32GB SD card .. AU$30 .. so that's still AU$150 for a half decent Dash Cam.
Personally, I wouldn't go below that.

Last edited:
Once you start getting over AU$100 .. I'd be tending to opt for the jump in Quality and go the VIOFO A119.. then you could use it for backup for your front camera if need be..
Problem for a rear .. is that it is too large. Ideally it should be no larger than a mini.. and even better .. the size of Jokiin's new SG Dual rear camera.

I rather like the idea of the lens only for the rear window and the guts being up front under the dash somewhere.

My idea of 'inexpensive' is up to AU$120 .. but then .. you still need to get at least a 32GB SD card .. AU$30 .. so that's still AU$150 for a half decent Dash Cam.
Personally, I wouldn't go below that.
I'll probably go with the wr1 when it comes out.

I'll probably go with the wr1 when it comes out.

Great .. sounds brilliant

Feel free to maybe share what the wr1 is .. and who intends making it?

Great .. sounds brilliant

Feel free to maybe share what the wr1 is .. and who intends making it?
It's viofo next screen less model, should come out within the next few months.

Is that the round one that looks like it is just a lens .. I saw a pic of it a few days ago and thought .. yeah .. that's what I want.

hi buddy, i think it's better to search on Amazon, then you can get more information, included in the brand, price, etc

Back