Cheap 'n' Easy DIY Mount for Mini 08xx

Thunderbird

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've only been on DCT for a short time, but it's long enough to realise that my selection of the Mini 0806 as a dash camera, in hindsight, may not have been the wisest choice, considering our hot Aussie summers. From reading a number of complaint threads about these cameras, I have come to the conclusion that there are two major issues that need to be addressed (by the user), the main being that they don't handle the heat so well, followed closely by the constant detaching/reattaching of the unit appears to cause premature wear at the electrical connections between the GPS base and camera mount. With this in mind, I have made up my mind to never leave the camera or GPS in the car and rarely, if ever, detach the two. I did try to use a piece of velcro on the base alone and this was fine as long as I didn't drive over any bumpy roads, but unfortunately, that is the main condition of the roads I travel on.

The thing about velcro is it becomes a stronger bond with the more surface area it has to hold on to, so it was a simple matter of increasing the surface area of the base mount, here is how I did it:

I found a plastic container and cut it into an L shape, to fit around the rear view mirror mount.

P1060702_zpsr6nvnqke.jpg

I then attached the plastic piece to the GPS base using 3m outdoor mounting tape (as you would normally stick it to your windscreen) and cut and attached the velcro to fit.
P1060704_zpsho571rpk.jpg

Next was to cut a similar shape and size to stick to the windscreen.
P1060705_zpsmy1k3ve2.jpg

I stuck the velcro together, then peeled the backing plastic off and attached it to the windscreen as a complete piece.

P1060706_zpstup6hg0s.jpg

It makes a very solid connection and is easy to adjust by simply repostioning it.

P1060709_zpspvl2sm2r.jpg

A cheap and easy solution to prolong the life of your Mini 08xx dash camera.

P1060717_zps5nwtbrsx.jpg

Back