Cheapest stealth dash cam with continuous (30fps) parking recording

john-doe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am after 2x dash cams (front and rear, can be single or dual channel) to mainly record during night when the car is parked.

I would like them to record non-stop 30fps, overwriting daily recording, so g-sensor or start on movement detection are not needed and unnecessary. In fact, I am more interested in running them during night than recording while driving.

Anything cheap and cheerful on the market? It would be good if the camera was rather stealth, so no need for screens, gps etc. I am more than happy to get a Chinese brand.

What's the lighting like where you usually park?

Hi harsh, it varies to be honest - from very lit places to some darker areas (first come first serve, so I park in different areas around the block). But I would say it is mostly lit good enough.

Look for models with an IMX291 sensor, it's the current top dog for low-light.

How do you plan on powering the cameras overnight?

Mobius is my solution. Other than when checking the card on my PC every couple weeks mine had been recording 24/7 for about 3 years now without a failure of any kind. Not the best in low light though.

Phil

The B1W is a possibility: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blueskysea-b1w-budget-1080p-wi-fi-dashcam-review.31743/

It is cheap, has an IMX 323 sensor which is pretty good in the dark, not as good as an IMX 291 but it will beat a Mobius. It is also low power compared to most so wont drain the car battery too much overnight, still need to be careful with 2 recording but it is one of the least power hungry, and it is almost invisible from outside. It also does well storing detail with a low bitrate so the memory cards will last a long time before overwriting, you will be able to use a memory card that doesn't cost more than the camera for overnight recording!

The Gitup F1 is another possibility but it and the B1W are pretty new to the scene and I don't like recommending cams without a history to back them. Not discreet but good at night (Sony IMX 323) and cheap is the G1W-S; I ran one continuously 2 months with no problems. As far as I know it's still going (need to check it soon). Keep in mind that continuous recording will void a cam's warranty; it's tough on these small cams.

Phil

Back