Choosing a Camera for Scenery - Road Trips

awestover89

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are preparing to take a rather long road trip from Chicago to Alaska next month, and thought it would be really cool to record the entire trip and then edit it into a timelapse video, especially after hearing people talk about the beautiful scenery around the Yukon and Alaska.

I'm not entirely sure what we should be looking for though, we want to avoid the recording over feature, so I think that means we'll have to either avoid HD video, or take a break like when we stop for lunch to transfer the current recordings to a computer and/or switch memory cards. I'm also thinking a wide-angle lens would be better, but I'm not sure. We'd probably also need image stabilization, especially since some of the roads between towns can be rough from what I understand.

Is there a particular camera that would be better for scenery recordings? Anything else I should consider?

Image stabilization will degrade the quality, solidly mounting the camera negates the need

Having more than one card is an easier way to deal with the amount of data you'll be dealing with

I can't think of a car dashcam with image stabilization (IS). It is more useful in action cams such as Sony range, when used in tracking, mountain bike, skiing, snowboarding etc. Not as useful in car. Even then, this IS in action cams is electronic IS, not the better optical IS in digital still cameras. I have the Olympus OM-D E-M5, it has awesome 5-axis optical IS.

They exist, picture is worse than solid mounted and without though, why you don't see it much

Love the sweaters in your avatar... :):):)

Love the sweaters in your avatar... :):):)

Our first home game, once they announced The Joe would be replaced, knew we had to make it up :D

Image stabilization might not be important then, especially if a good mount can help with keeping the picture steady. Video quality I think is primary concern; if we see wildlife, the mountains, the glaciers, etc. we really want it captured well enough to at least attempt at doing the scenery justice. Torn on GPS, it sounds really neat to be able to see the route and line up segments of videos with where we were exactly, but not sure if it's necessary, and it seems to really limit the selection. KDLinks X1 and Panorama G are the first two that stand out. Maybe the Mini 0805 or CDV300X

...Video quality I think is primary concern; if we see wildlife, the mountains, the glaciers, etc. we really want it captured well enough to at least attempt at doing the scenery justice. Torn on GPS, it sounds really neat to be able to see the route and line up segments of videos with where we were exactly, but not sure if it's necessary, and it seems to really limit the selection. KDLinks X1 and Panorama G are the first two that stand out. Maybe the Mini 0805 or CDV300X
I wouldn't depend on whatever dash cam you get to capture everything. If for no other reason they are all wide angle and you won't be getting a lot of 'up close and personal' detail. Plan on using it to capture the overall trip but take other still and movie cameras to get the really important stuff.

I went up to Alaska back '06 (cruise and overland trip, not driving). I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

KDLinks I'm guessing you've seen on Amazon, that popped up out of nowhere supported by very questionable reviews, I don't think its what its made out to be

The Möbius is also worth a look

Doing some more research, leaning pretty strongly towards the Mini 0806 for price/features (GPS, good video quality, and the dual memory cards are nice for our expected recording lengths), but I do see the first set had some issues. Is there anyway to tell before ordering if I'd be getting something from the first batch?

First batch should be well and truly all gone, don't count on dual cards as a benefit, there are still no reports of it working as yet

I'd also make sure you don't leave it all to the last minute for purchase... give yourself enough time to get it all set up properly, check your memory cards are all working, familiarize yourself with the hardware and process of downloading clips and creating the time lapse movies and become confident with the procedure.

Worst thing would be to buy something that had issues and you had to go through a last minute replacement mission!

... check your memory cards are all working, familiarize yourself with the hardware and process of downloading clips...

And DO NOT underestimate the amount of storage you'll need. At 1080P a 64GB card will hold a bit over 9 hours of video clips. Said another way, 15 days of 9 hours on the road will fill up a 1TB drive - assuming the drive is empty when you start and you save all the video until you return.

That's what I'd do. Just dload every night and edit/save when home.
Even with my Möbius set narrow, I tried recording a accident on a junction, couldn't see very much. Just too far for a good capture.

If you are planning on taking the same camera out for occasional stops, action camera is better choice.

As far as dashcam, the best video quality so far among the ones I have is G90 7S.
Check my videos.

We are hoping to make the purchase within the next day or two so we'll have time to play with it and figure out all the settings, we'll probably go with two 64GB cards, and switch each time we stop. transfer the files to a laptop and pop the now empty card back in. I was looking over Nigel's custom firmware, the superfine high resolution looks really nice, and I don't think we'll go beyond 5 hours without stopping.

We'll be using our Sony DSLR and a point and shoot Nikon for stills when we stop at scenic overlooks, etc. So the dashcam will just stay on the dash.

If you are planning on taking the same camera out for occasional stops, action camera is better choice.

As far as dashcam, the best video quality so far among the ones I have is G90 7S.
Check my videos.

The G90 looks really promising, similar specs to the 0806 and cheaper, but the details are really confusing. On GearBest two people asked if it had the GPS included, one was told it was included the other was told it wasn't.

The picture clearly shows it has gps logger:
1418837294450-P-2148245.jpg

...On GearBest...
I don't know where you plan on buying from but if you're leaving next month I'd strongly advise you buy from a stateside seller. If you have issues you will have time to get it resolved - that and initial delivery will be days instead of weeks buying from an overseas seller. @spytec and @Pier28 are both reputable sellers and members of this forum.

Yes Shipping From China Will Take A While.

Back