Choppy/stuttering video during Playback

Skybird

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have the Blackvue 900S 2-CH dash cam from October last year and a 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance SD card. When I did some driving today, I noticed that the time stamp in the video is smooth but the video playback isn't. It was fine for the first hour though. I then right clicked on the original videos, clicked Properties, Details, and Frane rate is 20.04 frames/second. (Windows 10). Is this an issue with my 900S and/or my SD card? BOTH are under manufacturer warranty. It's so annoying cause today is a sunny summer day and recorded something I wanted to record Blackvue quality, Z car wash, only to find the videos are mostly 20.04 fps. Blackvue 900S is supposed to be able to record in 4k 30fps. I turn my 900S completely off each night. Maybe it could be a glitch/temporary fault with the Buffer on the 900S. I'm sure no one wants to reset their Blackvue every 15 minutes to make sure it's running smoothly. It was about 4 hours recording (1 hour of it was in Parking Mode). First videos before Parking Mode were fine. 30fps.

Is there any editing software that can fix my videos from 20fps to 30fps or 40fps?

I produce the original videos to 4k 60fps using Microsoft Movie Maker (there is a legit workaround for this) but the video is still choppy Frame rate 60 frames/second. I primarily use Power Director 16 but I have to produce it first in Movie Maker since Power Director 16/17 only shows a black screen for all formats of Blackvue H.264 and H.265. I use H.265 and record in extreme mode 4k 30fps 25bit rate F, 1080p 30fps 12bit rate R.

It's 26'C today. We've had much hotter days this summer, and its still managed to record fine.

Maybe it's just a one off a happens sometimes.

It could have been the buffer that was playing up on the Blackvue 900s device.

Timeclock in time stamp in all these videos was smooth but videos were choppy/stuttering. I don't expect this issue from such a high end dash cam and such a high end SD card which I have.

So I played the files off my SD card and they're only slightly better when I play them on my HP white laptop (i5-6200U CPU). I edit on my i7-6700k Desktop but my Desktop PC doesn't have an SD Card reader, my HP laptop does. My HP laptop's battery is now faulty but have had my laptop since mid 2015. May look at getting a new laptop this year, since HP New Zealand charges a whopping NZ$500 just for a new battery for my laptop model, talk about rip off.

I played some of the files and even though they were a bit smoother, say 23 frames per second, it's still a bit choppy.

Anyone know how to copy and produce and save all files using Blackvue SD Card Viewer, or is it just a playback software? Thanks.

I'll do some more driving later today and see if it's working fine.

I normally move all files from my SD card and transfer them to an external storage device (Samsung external USB T5 SSD or my Seagate 4TB external USB HDD) That way I have 119GB clear for use the next day I drive. On average I use my car 3-4 days a week. When it's the holidays I use it more days a week.

Upload a file to YouTube, if it plays smoothly after they re-encode it then the source file is ok and it's your PC that is struggling

One of the things I noticed is that the files reporting by Windows 10 as 20.01fps all have VOD/NV in the time stamp. Normally there is no VOD in the timestamp if you watch all my other dash cam videos, leading me to believe that it's a software glitch in the Blackvue 900S. All my files with just NV in the time stamp are normal 30fps. YouTube should have finished processing the video at least in HD.

Others I've seen have UHD there when in 4K, not familiar with their abbreviations, what does VOD stand for?

Youtube says 30fps, so it could be a PC issue.

No clue. We should ask Blackvue. Will be going out I'll bring my SD results when I get back.

Youtube says 30fps, so it could be a PC issue.

My desktop PC has an Intel Core i7-6700k, GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4 2400 Kengston Fury HyperX, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Windows 10 64-bit OS.

Nice hardware. And what do you want to say by that? There could be a software issue which is crippling the performance.

Upload somewhere a source video.

I have a 4k native monitor yes.

Notice in my video I listed earlier in this thread, that even though YouTube says it's 4k 30fps you can CLEARLY tell that by watching the video, that 30fps is not this laggy. It's actually 20.01fps native.

Also note that an unknow code in the timestamp bar, VOD, is not present (but NV which is normal, is). I did not change any settings so it would be an issue with the Blackvue software or the device's buffer or something. But in the latest video in this post, the VOD message whatever it is, is gone, which indicates that the device is now working properly.

I reset my Blackvue every day and turn it off when I park it at my place.

I was wanting to enjoy that Z car wash in 30fps instead of 20fps. I have a free car wash coupon and it's going to be sunny tomorrow. Can try again tomorrow XD. I will contact Blackvue this evening to find out what VOD in the timestamp bar means.

Video with VOD notification in time stamp bar is listed earlier in this thread. Note both videos will be deleted off my YT channel tomorrow, it was just to give you peeps an idea.

Have a fabulous weekend.

Ok, you're right, i looked at the both videos via larger display and there is the stutter. But i have DR900S with Samsung Endurance as well and didn't see such issue (at least haven't noticed it yet). According to my experience, "VOD" shows during the time you look to the dashcam SDcard footage (direct access "VOD", via cloud "BC VOD"). So VOD probably stands for something like a "VideoOnDemand", i guess.

So the SDcard throughput? To be honest i use "Quickmode" so maybe that's the reason i haven't noticed it yet. :unsure:

Last edited:
I have a Nexar camera and I have formatted the SD card twice and it's choppy on playback audio also. About three months old and it's a Transcard 32GB that came with the unit. any suggestions

It was the SD card, put a different card in and it works fine.. That card didn't last long. :confused:

I have had two 64 GB cards ( trancend ultimate U3 and PNY U3 ) that i dident even got to fill up one time, both however performed just fine after i got them replaced.
Both at the time was the fastest and most expensive memory cards i had ever gotten, so just go to prove that even with the best brand and models, some times fate just kick you in the groin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 5
Back