Citroen hardwire install, my set-up, and advice needed

Either I am totally out in left field as to what you want to accomplish.. or you are totally misunderstanding my thoughts.. We are getting too many cooks in this kitchen. I have you installing capture1.jpg that is supplied with a single pole double throw switch. Inserting into capture1.jpg you insert capture2.jpg. You now have a USB outlet that is powered from two different sources. You plug your Ravpower into capture2.jpg.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 5
Either I am totally out in left field as to what you want to accomplish.. or you are totally misunderstanding my thoughts.

I thought we might be talking past each other, but not being used to working with electrics, the jargon etc, i though i wasn't communicating clearly......... couldn't quiet grasp your suggestion, so difficult to expand on it from there. I appreciate your contribution though Ralph, its been a very educational journey on my part thus far ............. although i may have frustrated the hell out of you ;)

@Ralph2 -Alba65 indicated that he wanted to feed the "Ravpower" from the car's built-in USB port which is hot only with the car running. It would be a different circuit to feed the Ravpower and the cam from a "female ciggie socket/USB converter" as you've pictured. I think that's where the confusion is coming in. I was initially thinking like you and had a circuit hand-drawn for that about to go into "Paint" until I re-read his post :oops:

Phil

@Alba65 - If you want to feed the Ravpower from a USB/Ciggie adapter instead of the car's built-in USB port I can draw that for you. I'll sit back and watch till you have any questions or design changes for me.

Phil

@SawMaster: Wow, thank you very much for the drawing and the detailed explanation. It looks like its exactly what i was hoping to achieve. Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into doing this for me (y)

I had a good look at it, and tried getting my head around the switch details, but i got a little sidetracked regarding you mentioning i should remember this is the underside of the switch....... then i tried double guessing which way it was flipped.......... but just to make sure i get it, is this understanding of the switch wiring correct?

On the left side: 12v is passed into pole #2 which activates pole 3, this then travels to a cig lighter contact and converter to pole 6 as 5v. Pole 6 being energised, activates pole 5, sending 5v to power the camera.

On the right side of the switch, 5v activates pole 4, sending 5 v to pole 5 and up to camera.

Is that a correct understanding of it?

My next question is, is the supplied 12v cig plug with converter, safer, more reliable, better longevity than the 12v converter attached to a hardwire kit? and, everything else being equal, couldn't i use the hardwire kit to convert to 5v before entering the switch from the ACC on pole 2, and simply loop or bridge 5v from pole 3 to pole 6 directly, cutting out some bulk?

Many thanks Phil.

Last edited:
@Alba65 - If you want to feed the Ravpower from a USB/Ciggie adapter instead of the car's built-in USB port I can draw that for you. I'll sit back and watch till you have any questions or design changes for me.

Phil

What would be the advantages of adding the new USB Phil? would it be able to supply a greater charge than the one already installed from the factory so it charges any faster? I never expected or intended the car fitted USB to charge, simply top up when driving. I expected to have to take it indoors regularly to be charged fully.

Last edited:
What would be the advantages of adding the new USB Phil? would it be able to supply a greater charge than the one already installed from the factory so it charges any faster? I never expected or intended the car fitted USB to charge, simply top up when driving. I expected to have to take it indoors regularly to be "topped up"

The way I drew the circuit has the car's built-in USB topping off (charging) the Ravpower only when you're driving. Most powerbanks take a considerable amount of time to fully charge up, so taking it inside to do that as needed is a good idea. How often this would be required would be based on how much you use up while parking.

The car's built-in USB ports are probably rated at 500mA, while most good adapters or plug-in "ciggie PS" units will supply 1500mA or more. Many go up to 2400mA. The Ravpower will charge faster with an adapter instead of the car's built-in USB ports. I would want that extra power, but that will take a different circuit than what I drew. You may not need this if you recharge the Ravpower inside often enough.

You say: " On the left side: 12v is passed into pole #2 which activates pole 3, this then travels to a cig lighter contact and converter to pole 6 as 5v. Pole 6 being energised, activates pole 5, sending 5v to power the camera."

This is correct. When you flip the switch the other way, the 12V is cut and the Ravpower on #4 connects to #5 to feed the cam when parked. So you understand the circuit correctly- good job! If you want a drawing where you can use a ciggie/USB adapter to better recharge the Ravpower just ask and I can draw that. I'll need a couple answers first so let me know if you'd prefer that.

Phil

Alba65 indicated that he wanted to feed the "Ravpower" from the car's built-in USB port which is hot only with the car running.
Good luck with providing alternate power to a built in USB port.

Good luck with providing alternate power to a built in USB port.

We're not providing power to the car's USB port- we're taking power from it going to charge the Ravpower on it's input side with no alterations. Don't know where you got the idea we were putting power in there or changing anything about it. :rolleyes:

Phil

Obviously I have totally misunderstood what Alba65 wanted to accomplish.

The way I drew the circuit has the car's built-in USB topping off (charging) the Ravpower only when you're driving. Most powerbanks take a considerable amount of time to fully charge up, so taking it inside to do that as needed is a good idea. How often this would be required would be based on how much you use up while parking.

The car's built-in USB ports are probably rated at 500mA, while most good adapters or plug-in "ciggie PS" units will supply 1500mA or more. Many go up to 2400mA. The Ravpower will charge faster with an adapter instead of the car's built-in USB ports. I would want that extra power, but that will take a different circuit than what I drew. You may not need this if you recharge the Ravpower inside often enough.

You say: " On the left side: 12v is passed into pole #2 which activates pole 3, this then travels to a cig lighter contact and converter to pole 6 as 5v. Pole 6 being energised, activates pole 5, sending 5v to power the camera."

This is correct. When you flip the switch the other way, the 12V is cut and the Ravpower on #4 connects to #5 to feed the cam when parked. So you understand the circuit correctly- good job! If you want a drawing where you can use a ciggie/USB adapter to better recharge the Ravpower just ask and I can draw that. I'll need a couple answers first so let me know if you'd prefer that.

Phil

Thanks for the encouragement and help Phil (y)

I've not looked into the math behind calculating the RP runtime with the Viofo duo set up, but rather thought i'd wait and see how many hours use i get out of it...... i expect it will no doubt vary greatly between seasons too, so taking it inside to fully charge may be unavoidable. I won't be using it much, so maybe only have to charge it once or twice a week, which i'm good with. But thanks for offering up more of your time to re-draw things for me.

What did you think about my question regarding converting 12v to 5v after the ACC connection, but before the switch. Then bridging this now 5v supply from pole 3 to 6.......cutting out the need for the charger/conversion loop? Is it doable? or not to be recommended perhaps?

Can i expect the switch to generate much heat? I was hoping to mount it on/in a small hobby electronics box or something, so i don't have to have it fixed to the cars interior facias yet still hide the wiring.

Back