Clarification on potential setup

Chatoyer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Love these forums. Just wanted to offer what I think will be my setup going forward, but wanted some clarification if I could.

My car is a 2018 M4. I’m not interested in hardwiring as I’ve a 12V in my trunk that I would prefer to use. I’m looking at a BV 750-2ch.
  1. If I get a B124 battery, the power cable from the 750 can plug into the B124, and B124 itself can plug into the aforementioned 12v socket in the trunk. That will allow the car the power the battery (when running only) and the dashcam will receive power both when the car is running and when parked. Is this correct?
  2. Does a product exist that allows the B124 to be charged by plugging in to a standard 120v outlet (in, for example, garage)?
  3. How long is the power cord (the one with the cigarette lighter adapter) that comes with the 750?
Thanks for any advice or guidance.

David

That battery i think can charge faster if it is hard wired, but if you drive plenty in comparison to what you use it for parking duty you should be fine with the little lesser charge rate of the cigarette lighter plug.
You should also be able to use a car battery charger on mains to charge the B123 battery alone if that should be needed, BUT better make sure you get official confirmation on this ( not a user of that brand / model of camera or battery )
My mains charger for the lipo batteries i use for RC cars can also do lead acid batteries too, and many other kinds of batteries, just something to consider ( price wise ) if you go that route Vs the price for a car battery charger.

As Jokiin say "BBMC" should be able to enlighten you.

1) yes
2) 12V DC adapter with suffient current (something between 12V–17V actually, but 12V is pretty common)
3) should be 4.5m(14.76ft)

That battery i think can charge faster if it is hard wired, ...
Doesn't matter. You just need an output from the battery with fuse high enough according to the settings of the B-124 (6.5A or 13.5A)

Last edited:
Thanks much all. I appreciate the insights and advice.

Thanks @jokiin @kamkar1
  1. If I get a B124 battery, the power cable from the 750 can plug into the B124, and B124 itself can plug into the aforementioned 12v socket in the trunk. That will allow the car the power the battery (when running only) and the dashcam will receive power both when the car is running and when parked. Is this correct? The B-124 can be connected via cigarette adapter to the vehicle's 12V socket. However, your vehicle's 12V socket will shut off when the car is off, meaning the battery won't draw power when the car is off and parked. When the car is off, the dash cam will just draw power from whatever charge the battery has stored up.
  2. Does a product exist that allows the B124 to be charged by plugging in to a standard 120v outlet (in, for example, garage)? Yes, using a power inverter such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FIY08U
  3. How long is the power cord (the one with the cigarette lighter adapter) that comes with the 750? About 15 feet long.
The battery does charge faster when hardwired over the 12V socket (about 20% quicker).

A dash cam battery pack is heavily recommended for your M4 as battery discharge without one can cause dashboard errors. We even have a writeup of this here: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/bmw-battery-discharge-cellink-neo-battery

Thanks for that, BBMC. I'm fine with the slower charge of the 12V port to the battery itself. And thanks for the link to the power inverter. That's exactly what I was after.

Next decision: 590 or 750. Leaning toward the 590 as I've not much need for cloud services and both cameras share the same the CMOS sensor. You'll hear from me eventually when I make up my mind!

Thought I would follow up on this thread. I eventually ordered an F800 Pro (without the rear cam, as I can add that later if needed) and plan on running the power cord through the cabin (myself, wish me luck) and into the trunk area where there is a 12v socket which remains powered for approx 10 minutes after the car is shut down (so no appreciable power drain). But, yes, no parking mode. When it came down to it, I decided I don’t really need parking mode, but if that were to change I would want it available.

Also, if I do want parking mode, I’ll be ready for a Cellink Neo to power it.

Thanks to BBMC. Got word today you’ve shipped everything off.

David

Back