Clean windows.

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
What do all you guys do to keep the interior glass of your windscreen clear - mine is noticeable really at night (daytime seems ok) and seems to often (always) have a haze around the street lights.

Untitled.pngDo you use anything in particular?

My process is to first scrub them with terrycloth and plain water then follow that up with InvisibleGlass. Works really well.

I tried that product, plus 2 Autoglym products. Neither seem to last more than a couple of days at best - I reckon my old leaky tub screws up any cleaning...

Neither seem to last more than a couple of days at best...
I would think that once the glass is clean it should stay that way for some time (unless you smoke in the car). Is there something in the vehicle that could be outgassing?... or maybe something in your environment causing a film to develop on the glass?

I don't smoke (nor does anyone else that might use my car - there's only 3 of us.

The aircon doesn't work and is never used anyway - and there's nothing else that can create a gas except the wife and daughters farts... :LOL:

I get moisture inside from somewhere - until recently there was an issue with water getting in through the pollen filter and trickling into the footwell but I have fixed that, so I cant think what else it could be.

3 days ago I used Autoglym and now 3 nights later the haze is back....

I'm going to try a coouple of different products this week to see if anything changes the outcome for longer after use.

It doesn't sound like it's the products you're using but rather something environmental causing the film to redeposit on the glass. I would suspect the moisture you mention as a (probable?) cause.

I don't smoke (nor does anyone else that might use my car - there's only 3 of us.

The aircon doesn't work and is never used anyway - and there's nothing else that can create a gas except the wife and daughters farts... :LOL:

I get moisture inside from somewhere - until recently there was an issue with water getting in through the pollen filter and trickling into the footwell but I have fixed that, so I cant think what else it could be.

3 days ago I used Autoglym and now 3 nights later the haze is back....

I'm going to try a coouple of different products this week to see if anything changes the outcome for longer after use.

I've tried both Autoglym and Invisible Glass. Both are excellent and really quite similar. Autoglym takes a bit more elbow grease. Recently, I've found myself favoring Invisible Glass for its slightly longer lasting effect and easier application.

My vehicle is parked outside under a huge 240 year old maple tree and I often have a difficult problem with persistent water spots on the exterior of the windshield that are very hard to remove. The best technique I've come up with is to clean with a standard foaming glass cleaner, then thoroughly scrub the glass with #0000 steel wool and finally give it a good cleaning with Autoglym or Invisible Glass. It's the only thing that's really worked. Terrycloth or other sturdy cotton, lint free fabric and Invisible Glass or Autoglym seems to work best on my interior glass. The whole endeavor lasts a reasonable amount of time before it needs some attention again. (several weeks)

Last edited:
I have some Invisble Glass, and Autoglym's Fast Glass. I have used both and tbh, I can't remember if one did better or not.

Tomorrow, I will wash the glass with washing up liquid and white vinegar, and then I am going to try an e-cloth that should be coming from Amazon.

Hopefully, I will get a finish that lasts a week!

In my experience, perhaps because of my environment, it doesn't pay to clean the interior glass without also cleaning the exterior at the same time.

For the exterior I've become a big fan of the #0000 steel wool technique. Works remarkably well. Worth trying!

I don't bother with RainX type products anymore like in the video. I have better luck just keeping the glass clean.

not sure if they have this over in UK or not..

the aerosol is what you want

spray on microfiber, wipe on glass, turn microfiber to dry side, wipe off, no streaks

I mentioned earlier that I start my cleaning process by using a foaming glass cleaner and that happens to be the same product I use. It's pretty good stuff but alone on windshield exteriors it doesn't quite do what the additional treatment with #0000 steel wool plus Autoglym or Invisible Glass can accomplish though, if you have a serious water spot and splattered bug problem.

Last edited:
@Paul Iddon Before you clean, take a scent-free paper towel or cloth, and rub it hard on the windshield where the defroster vent hits it. Have the most sensitive nose on the household give it a sniff and sere if it smells like your car's antifreeze. Even a tiny slow occasional drop of a leak on the heater core will make your windows seem like they're smeared with nicotine or vaseline, and no normal glass cleaner will get it off. Ammonia and vinegar don't cut it either. I've recently heard that cleaning with a grease-cutting soap (like your washing-up liquid) is supposed to work for this although you may have to wash and dry several times to get it all off. It's supposed to work equally well for nicotine.

The glass cleaner @dr_ramoray speaks of is what my windshield installer used, but they didn't do a good job with it when they put my windshield in a couple weeks ago. Even though my glass is brand new it has something greasy on it right out of the wrapper and I'm going to give it a go in a day or two. I'll post the results here about how well the washing-up liquid works for me, and I'll be finishing up with the aerosol "Invisible Glass" which I normally use.

Phil

@Paul Iddon Before you clean, take a scent-free paper towel or cloth, and rub it hard on the windshield where the defroster vent hits it. Have the most sensitive nose on the household give it a sniff and sere if it smells like your car's antifreeze. Even a tiny slow occasional drop of a leak on the heater core will make your windows seem like they're smeared with nicotine or vaseline, and no normal glass cleaner will get it off. Ammonia and vinegar don't cut it either. I've recently heard that cleaning with a grease-cutting soap (like your washing-up liquid) is supposed to work for this although you may have to wash and dry several times to get it all off. It's supposed to work equally well for nicotine.

The glass cleaner @dr_ramoray speaks of is what my windshield installer used, but they didn't do a good job with it when they put my windshield in a couple weeks ago. Even though my glass is brand new it has something greasy on it right out of the wrapper and I'm going to give it a go in a day or two. I'll post the results here about how well the washing-up liquid works for me, and I'll be finishing up with the aerosol "Invisible Glass" which I normally use.

Phil

If it's a grease cutter that's required I can highly recommend Citra Solv. Fantastic natural product and one of the very best grease cutting and general purpose cleaning liquids I know of.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0012BVXSO
Check out some of the Amazon reviews.

citrasolv.jpg

That remind me i have some de greaser on spray, smell very much citrus.
I have sort of the same problem, no matter how often i clean the inside of my windscreen it dont seem to be good enough.

What do all you guys do to keep the interior glass of your windscreen clear - mine is noticeable really at night (daytime seems ok) and seems to often (always) have a haze around the street lights.

View attachment 53116Do you use anything in particular?
Are you sure that the haze in your image is not from water droplets in the air between the car and the lamp?
The weather has been a bit damp recently...

It's still there after wipers and demisters have been used. I have a heated front windscreen.

Can't wipe the glass on the inside before every journey to remove owt.

But my old tub isn't good for moisture....

It's still there after wipers and demisters have been used. I have a heated front windscreen.

Can't wipe the glass on the inside before every journey to remove owt.

But my old tub isn't good for moisture....
Does look to me like it is outside, and just caused by the damp weather.

Are you saying that if you do wipe the glass on the inside before a journey then it disappears?
If it is moisture in the air then it may disappear due to the weather rather than cleaning so it can be hard to tell without several checks!
Also, note that it will be more visible the darker it is outside, so again care is needed in the testing.

I didn't wipe inside but after a 15 minute drive it's no different having used blowers or the heated element.

Some of it could be reflections off the heater elements, have you ever had a nice clean image in that car in proper darkness?

Back