Cleaning and protecting your cameras?

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Hello guys,

I remember we had a thread in which we talked a bit on how you protect and clean your cameras.

If admin finds it, please merge these two threads. Or maybe it got deleted?

Anyway...

I picked up this 9 in 1 lens cleaning kit, and this is what I use for cleaning my cameras.

What do you use?

I have a stack of microfiber cloths that I use - for the really stubborn stains I use some isopropyl alcohol on the cloth and if that doesn't work Carl Zeiss Solution 30. That's quite aggressive stuff so I use that sparingly!

@reverend Any particular microfiber cloth brand that you use? I really liked these particular ones I picked, much better then others I used. Not a huge fan of any sort of liquid for cleaning cameras, but as you said for sporadic use its okay.

Okay, so I recorded another video showing how I clean my action camera.

I have a Nikon DSLR lens cleaning pen/kit that works pretty good plus bunch of screen cleaning microfiber cloths.

Pavle...

Its a bit odd having that many WiFi cameras....

Can I ask why ?......

Sunny, do you have a photo/link to it? I am also quite satisfied with my microfiber cloth, although I need a better pen I believe.

Pete, I first started buying them to record hiking trips of our local hiking club. I wrote a review on 3-4 of them and people seam to like it, so on my site I review action cameras now. Some of them I buy, some of them retails lend/give for reviewing purposes. I have few more that are not on the photo.

@Pavle
I bought a bigger kit with two pens but the pen is like this:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006JN3G/

31PD39F1AHL.jpg

41YV905VW5L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
and these are made in varying levels of quality. the old version is my favorite. I've tried these because they were cheap but they're absolutely terrible. the carbon on them is non-resurfacing. I like these a lot, too and they're a good value.

Just in case someone wants to know how to test waterproof case before going underwater.

I think the one other consideration for waterproofness might be if you want to use the camera in deeper water where the pressure is greater. This is based on the IP Code ratings. The code is based on water depth and pressure as well as amount of time immersed.

For example, the GoPro is capable of withstanding depths of up to 197 feet (60 meters). I have often wondered if some of the GoPro clones can achieve the same water ingress performance.

I guess for most of us who don't go scuba diving, it doesn't really matter so much but it is interesting and also depends on how you wish to use your camera. Let's say you might want to use the camera for water skiing or some similar activity where the spray the camera endures has more pressure than if out in the rain or if the camera might end up in deeper water than 1 meter somehow.

IP ratings.png

Last edited:
Here is a video I made that shows some cheap (hell yeah) ways to organize action cameras and accessories.

I just wipe over the lens every so often with my shirt / tee shirt / handkerchief / bit of cloth, what is too hand.

I just wipe over the lens every so often with my shirt / tee shirt / handkerchief / bit of cloth, what is too hand.

That method is the worst possible way to clean a lens as it will grind small dust particles into the delicate glass surface causing swirl shaped patterns of scratches that will dramatically degrade its quality and eventually ruin it.

Lenses should have any dust removed with a puffer or compressed air before cleaning. Only use a suitable dust free, gentle product such as lens tissue or a proper tool intended for the job like @Pavle is suggesting.

One should never wipe a dry lens even if using proper lens tissue. Use a good quality lens cleaning fluid. The best on the market is ROR mist.

Last edited:
I am confident that before any noticable damage is done to the lenses on my dashcams they will have broken down.

Ya but the reason on why most still use cloth, hand etc... is the damage isn't seen right away but it slowly compounds and all of a sudden, it'll start making noisy footage.

I am confident that before any noticable damage is done to the lenses on my dashcams they will have broken down.

The fact is, the very first time you wipe a dry dusty lens with your T-shirt you are causing hundreds of tiny scratches that are already causing a deterioration in the image quality. Basically, the tiny scratches will begin to scatter light which will give your images less contrast and fine detail even if the lens still "appears" sharp to you for the time being. You may not notice from video to video but the changes and increasing haze are surely happening. Chances are very likely that the cameras you have will function much longer than the incremental damage you are inflicting on your lenses.

Sadly, you are expressing an attitude all too common in today's "throw away" society. Of course, manufacturers are delighted with customers who feel this way but with the exception of replacing the battery there is no reason a dash camera can't last many years. Wiping a lens with a T-shirt which is full of tiny particles of grit just from wearing it around is just abusing the camera. Doing that to a sweet little well made device like a SJCam M-10 for example, which should last for years as a rugged action cam seems a shame.

Even if the camera fails, a well cared for lens should last virtually forever. When I've had a dash cam fail like some of the early ones I've purchased over the last 5 years I always keep the lens (and other parts) for use in a future DIY project. In a few instances, I've used those lenses from older cameras in other cameras for dramatically improved results or a different FOV.

This discussion makes me think of the cameras I used when I was a little boy and first got interested in photography. I cherished these otherwise inexpensive amateur cameras and took good care of them as I did with more sophisticated cameras I owned as a teenager and later. I still own many of them, they still function and a few of them are now valuable as collectors items.

swirl.jpg

The fact is, the very first time you wipe a dry dusty lens with your T-shirt you are causing hundreds of tiny scratches that are already causing a deterioration in the image quality. Basically, the tiny scratches will begin to scatter light which will give your images less contrast and fine detail even if the lens still "appears" sharp to you for the time being. You may not notice from video to video but the changes and increasing haze are surely happening. Chances are very likely that the cameras you have will function much longer than the incremental damage you are inflicting on your lenses.

Sadly, you are expressing an attitude all too common in today's "throw away" society. Of course, manufacturers are delighted with customers who feel this way but with the exception of replacing the battery there is no reason a dash camera can't last many years. Wiping a lens with a T-shirt which is full of tiny particles of grit just from wearing it around is just abusing the camera. Doing that to a sweet little well made device like a SJCam M-10 for example, which should last for years as a rugged action cam seems a shame.

Even if the camera fails, a well cared for lens should last virtually forever. When I've had a dash cam fail like some of the early ones I've purchased over the last 5 years I always keep the lens (and other parts) for use in a future DIY project. In a few instances, I've used those lenses from older cameras in other cameras for dramatically improved results or a different FOV.

This discussion makes me think of the cameras I used when I was a little boy and first got interested in photography. I cherished these otherwise inexpensive amateur cameras and took good care of them as I did with more sophisticated cameras I owned as a teenager and later. I still own many of them, they still function and a few of them are now valuable as collectors items.

View attachment 15917
Would the same apply to using those cleaning cloths that are included with cameras like the Mobius?

Would the same apply to using those cleaning cloths that are included with cameras like the Mobius?
Microfiber cloths are much safer.
The only concern with re-usable cloths is dirt/dust accumulation.
If rubbed with dirty/dusty (even though it looks clean) cloth, fine dust particles scratch lens.
Make sure it's clean and store inside the plastic cover.

Another option is disposable lens wipes/tissues.

Back