Cleaning and Recovering Valuable Data from Corrupted Cards

timbilt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recorded an accident yesterday. After playing the video on the X2 and tried to go back to recording, the card got corrupted and I got a message saying that I should insert the card even though both were inserted. I'd already left this info for you guys in another thread, but because of all the reports of cards getting corrupted lately I decided to put this information in a separate thread.

Here is how you can clean (format) and fix your corrupted cards.

If you don't have valuable footage on the cards you may format your card like so (on a computer running a Windows operating system):

Method 1. Insert the card into your computer, using a USB or other card adapter if necessary. You should get an automatic message saying that you must format the card before using it. Click "Yes" to format (a Quick Format, the default, is okay). Leave the default FAT-based format (eg. exFAT).
Method 2. Insert the card into your computer, using a USB or other card adapter if necessary. (In this method, I'm assuming you didn't get an automatic message to format the card). Press (Windows Key + E) to see the disks. Right-click on the disk that represents the card you just inserted, then click Format. Leave the default FAT-based format (eg. exFAT).

But imagine if there was valuable footage on the cards before they were corrupted! Please note there are multiple ways to repair disks with built-in utilities on different operating systems. So if your card somehow gets corrupted in the camera like mine did, you may repair your corrupted card like so (on a computer running a Windows operating system):

1. Insert the card into your computer, using a USB or other card adapter if necessary.
2. Close any message, prompt, or window that pops up.
3. Press (Windows Key + E) to view disks, then note which drive letter corresponds to the card you just inserted.
4. Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, click Run as Administrator. (If you are using XP, you don't need to right-click and run as administrator, just click Command Prompt. If you're using Windows 8, after you click the start button, click the search button on the top right, search for "Command Prompt", when the icon appears right-click then click "Run as Administrator").
5. Type the following command without including the quotes: "ChkDsk <drive-letter>: /R", where <drive-letter> is the drive letter you noted in step 3. For example, if my card had F as the drive letter, I would type: ChkDsk F: /R
6. After the repair is complete, close the command prompt.
7. Safely remove your card.
8. Reinsert the card into you computer or camera. When inserted into your computer, you should no longer see a message that you need to format your card. Your card should now be recognized when inserted into your camera.

PS: It might help sometimes to use the /F flag before or instead of the /R flag (eg. ChkDsk F: /F)

Back