Cleaning Lens with Alcohol?

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DVR-207GS + GT300W
Is it really bad to clean the lens of a dash cam with isopropyl alcohol? I just wiped the lens of my DVR-207 with a blue shop towel and 70% isopropyl alcohol, and now I'm scared I could have damaged the lens because I read online to never ever use alcohol on a camera lens. (I can't test the video quality yet because I'm waiting for my SD card to arrive in the mail) Edit: SD card arrived, video quality seems average, compares to what others have uploaded on this forum.

However, I found this video on youtube where this person actually recommends cleaning the DR400 lens with rubbing alcohol with good results.

I believe the DVR has a glass lens, but are there any finishes/coatings/films on the lens that isopropyl alcohol will damage, for example, a UV protection coating?

edit: sorry, pasted the wrong youtube video. It's fixed now :oops:

Chris said:
Is it really bad to clean the lens of a dash cam with isopropyl alcohol? I just wiped the lens of my DVR-207 with a blue shop towel and 70% isopropyl alcohol, and now I'm scared I could have damaged the lens because I read online to never ever use alcohol on a camera lens. (I can't test the video quality yet because I'm waiting for my SD card to arrive in the mail)

However, I found this video on youtube where this person actually recommends cleaning the DR400 lens with rubbing alcohol with good results.

I believe the DVR has a glass lens, but are there any finishes/coatings/films on the lens that isopropyl alcohol will damage, for example, a UV protection coating?

I guess you copy-paste wrong youtube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq7b4g2 ... ata_player

Last edited by a moderator:
i usually clean whit sun glasses cleaning stuff hope i don´t doing it wrong :mrgreen:

tbkonwso1 said:
any ipa lense wipe should be fine
That's what i was thinking. I have used them on other glass things with great results. I would even suggest keeping a few in the console of your car. You can usually get a box of like 50 or so individually wrapped ones.

Chris said:
Is it really bad to clean the lens of a dash cam with isopropyl alcohol? I just wiped the lens of my DVR-207 with a blue shop towel and 70% isopropyl alcohol, and now I'm scared I could have damaged the lens because I read online to never ever use alcohol on a camera lens. (I can't test the video quality yet because I'm waiting for my SD card to arrive in the mail)

edit: sorry, pasted the wrong youtube video. It's fixed now :oops:

Pure Isopropyl alcohol wont hurt it It is actually better as it doesnt leave a residue like meths or similar products. HAve used it on delicate electronic stuff for years with no problems.

Also use it when applying 3m protective film on car paintwork as it absorbs the water and lets it stick where you spray it to fix one corner to locate the film

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I still wonder why some people say to never use rubbing alcohol on camera lenses. There are probably special coatings on those DSLR camera lenses that cost like $500-1000 that you won't want to damage.

Most of us know what to use when cleaning their DSLR, but regarding dash camera lenses cleaning instructions on what so called universal lens-friendly fluid to use, - there is almost nothing on the web. Also I do not remember that any of manufacturers would add in their manual instructions some specific details as well ( maybe its because I am too lazy to read full manual instructions :). Probably high-end dash cameras which uses high quality full glass lens, - they can be cleaned same way, with same cleaning fluid as your DSLR without fear of damaging coating of the lens, but I am not sure what about cheaper range dash cams lenses and how some cleaning fluid can affect them.
As per this forum, there is only one active manufacturer who might give us correct answer.
Lets wait for "jokiin" replay.

I use nothing but water these days on screens or lenses. I messed up someone's CRT monitor at work years ago by using some LCD cleaner or something similar. Coating on the screen started to peel.

flank said:
I use nothing but water these days on screens or lenses. I messed up someone's CRT monitor at work years ago by using some LCD cleaner or something similar. Coating on the screen started to peel.

water is the safest although I'd just clarify that as being a damp cloth only, if it's a glass lens it's not going to have problems with mild cleaning fluids however it's all too easy for it to get elsewhere so I'd still avoid using them and just stick to the damp cloth, personally I use a microfibre cleaning cloth (dry), there's more chance of a dirty windscreen in most cars, don't use household glass cleaners as it develops a haze on the inside of the windows about 12 hours later

if it's a plastic lens like most cheap cameras have don't use anything other than a dry cloth, don't use tissues or cotton buds as they leave bits behind that may be too small to notice but will show up in your videos

flank said:

CRT monitor, years ago? Do you mean decades ago? They needed a new monitor anyway :lol:

Back