Clear the ice and snow from your vehicle and ...

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Keep your distance from the vehicle in front, if he hasn't.

Fortunately my experience was better than this guys ..

The worst are the soft cover trucks, some times they have like 2-3-4 inches of solid ice form on the top tarp, and then setting off
I have often seen the remains of these heavy sheets of ice on the roads, often on turns near industrial areas.

Here it is illegal to not clear it all before setting off, I would have thought it was even more illegal in Canada since you have a lot more snow than us? Although ours is more likely to be half melted and then refrozen into something more dangerous.

Its illegal in Ontario, but given how bad the law enforcement is and how drivers lack common sense, I rarely see cars completely remove remove snow from their cars.

Haha the brake hard = whiteout i have tried a few times when i had taller 4 x 4 cars.
Not really had any snow here since i got my little red car in 2012, maybe 2 - 3 times since then i have removed snow from car + roof.

the non frozen 'fluffy' snow on cars doesn't bother me as much as the crusted over stuff, or a foot of snow on top of a tractor trailer.
The fluffier stuff you can clear a few spots and drive carefully and it usually blows off pretty quickly.........as long as you can see.
Kind of dumb not to clear off at least what you can reach easily.

There's no practical way to get the snow of the top of big trailers.
There is a large grocery distributor in NY I've seen use people on man lifts to get on top of the parked trailers and shovel or sweep the trailers off.
I'm not sure I want to be up 13'6" high walking on top of snowed/iced over trailers.

I would just high pressure maybe steam pressure clean it, this way you can just drive past a few nozzles and be on your way.

De-icer trucks-like for airplanes-hated those open buckets-freezing!

The early spring snow we had yesterday was fairly heavy. Snowman and snowball type. I have a few snow shovels and despite the snow being 1 and 1/2 inches, I found it a struggle and resorted the shovel with shortest width. I then tried the snow blower and fortunately it worked. The my snow thrower struggles if there is a little water in it.

I have seen snow fly from semi's enough that I would I pass on the freeway, but in hind sight, this snow was so heavy I doubt it would go airborne like a sheet of ice.

I have a neighbor with a full size SUV that uses a large T shaped broom to clear snow from his roof. It also helps that he is about 6 foot 5.

There are some devices that clear snow,
But imagine, if you get the height wrong, it would be like that 11 foot 8 bridge

Some of the larger distribution centers in the north have those. ^^^ WalMart, etc.
I never seen them in use, and suspect they'd only work on fresh snow.
One of the problem with the larger distribution centers is a lot of cargo is 'drop and hook'.
Outside companies bring in loaded trailers, leave with a different previously emptied one.
The empty trailer may have sat through a couple cycles of snow, partial melt, snow, melt over days or weeks.
Even if they have those devices, they don't use outside carriers use them.

I always thought a simpler method of a tensioned bungee cord you'd drive under would at least slice through the snow and let it blow off quicker and easier, but then it wouldn't work for ice.

One of the distribution centers I used to go to would leave the doors to the empty trailers open, and I have had to clear out a few feet of snow that blew into the empty trailer during a blizzard.
:(

Yeah powder are not a big problem.
Thats why i lean towards steam as i think that will take care of fairly thick ice, unless of course it have been a ice storm with like inches of solid ice on bare metal, in that case you probably have to run the vehicles thru several times.
A big + of this hot approach are you can inspect on a screen viewing footage from a thermal camera, so no eyes on inspection needed. ( win - win )

In other transport news the Danish transport and logistics company DSV are buying up competitor, and really becoming one of the big players
"DSV will become the world’s third- or fourth-largest freight-forwarder and the No. 2 in air freight "

They got a few trucks to dust off too :)

Back