Clock reset. What powers it?

Wouldn't it be easier to tap the bike battery for the rtc? Not power the whole unit (since you lose auto start/stop recording that way) - but just a power feed in lieu of the CR3032... or would the supply be too messy to drop down from 12V , etc?

I suppose the other idea would be any other wiring tricks for a hardwired unit to start/stop automatically with engine start/stop...

Asking since I have the same concern with the C3 I'm about to receive for my bike.

Wouldn't it be easier to tap the bike battery for the rtc? Not power the whole unit (since you lose auto start/stop recording that way) - but just a power feed in lieu of the CR3032... or would the supply be too messy to drop down from 12V , etc?

Not really, First, neither side of the caps / internal battery is connected to 5V USB ground, so you'd need a 12-3V external regulator that doesn't ground either side of the caps,
And, two more connections to the C3. They really should have given the cap version of the C3 a separate clock battery, connected directly to the chip's RTC input so it wouldn't have to cover the supercap's leakage as well.

I installed a fresh CR2032 in mine on 2/11. and just checked it now. 3.042V (forgot to check voltage when installed, but a test battery started out at 3.097.
So, it should last several months, if not a full year. This has been mostly idle time, since it's still cold and wet here. (While riding, cap voltage is higher than battery, so there's no load on it.

If the thing has a resistor installed between the main battery input and the RTC pin, and I knew which one it was, I could remove it and tie directly to the RTC input.
But, I suspect they just tied the RTC pin directly to the main power pad, since they're very close together on the camera chip.

One other option:
Plug the C3 into an AC powered USB charger if the bike is going to sit for more than a few days.

Update: I've been measuring the backup battery voltage monthly.
On 2/8/2015 it was 3.019V (fresh Energizer brand )
On 7/8/2015 it is 3.01V Holding up nicely, including summer riding where the recorder case gets too hot to hold tightly.
Of course, it has not lost time and date even while sitting without power for over a week.

Excellent results for such a simple change. Really hope Innovv pick it up and use it for future models.

Excellent results for such a simple change. Really hope Innovv pick it up and use it for future models.

caps were decided on after the product was built, I'm sure if it was in the planning stages it would be much easier to accommodate this

I checked the CR2032 again today. 3.0V. I'll probably replace it once a year just in case.
One not about this setup: Do NOT press the power button on the camera with no external power, It will try to start up with whatever voltage remains on the caps, and will drain them completely, resetting the clock.

Back