Close Call Today

A few months ago I had an encounter with a small group of deer in the road on my way home. I didn't hit any of them but one of them hit me!

When I saw them I slowed down and they all ran to the side of the road and all was clear. Suddenly, I heard a loud impact on the passenger side door of my truck, so I stopped, expecting to see an injured deer but all of them had run away. I was also expecting to find a big dent on the side of my truck but there wasn't even s scratch! It seems one of the deer panicked and ran right back into the road, right into the side of my vehicle. I'm guessing he was a bit sore for a day or two but I'm pretty sure he was ok.

Glad you missed that one!

Yeah we need to stay clear of Bambi, not just for his sake, he can make a mess of our vehicles too.
Most places here where there are a chance to run into the guy, there are also sings warning about that possibility, though i must admit that all the signs do for me is raise my awareness level, the signs are never associated with any lowering of speed.

I have some scratches on the side of my car i got last summer, i assume a deer took offense to my little red car being parked in the field at my friends place. But enough and large enough scratches that i immediately noticed it the day after.

Do you have one of those tooter sound things that scare them from crossing on your car?

Do you have one of those tooter sound things that scare them from crossing on your car?
Never heard of one for deer? I can't imagine it working, since by the time you see them, the only thing on their mind is reaching the other side of the road ASAP.

I think the best device is a loud exhaust, then they hear you coming and hide instead of crossing. The only time I've had a collision with a deer was when my engine wasn't running and one jumped a hedge expecting an empty road, flew straight into my passenger door - their brakes don't work when airborne! Electric vehicles are bad news for deer.

Never heard of one for deer?
Oddly enough, I just saw one at AutoZone the other day on display by the cash register. I never knew they were a thing prior to that.

My dad hit a deer once when we were driving. I was sitting in the back seat of a minivan and saw the deer appear mid-jump in the right side of the windshield. The minivan hit it before it landed on the ground causing it's left should, neck, and head to slam into the hood. The rest of the body wrapped around the side of the minivan and hit the side of the front passenger door. The hood had a visible impression of a deer and the front passenger door was hard to open due to it bending the sheet metal. It ended up doing about $4 - $5k of damage back.

Back