Close Call with Big Truck

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
Traveling through the city during rush hour the truck wanted to get over one lane so I was a nice guy and gave him a gap to move into. He almost took me out, but at least he gave me a wave afterwards.

We gotte take care of those big rigs, not least Americans do.
Those guys keep the country going, and they might just have a pallet of dashcams onbord :D

Here many ppl dont give a hoot about the big rigs, they just see them as some one who is in the way and slow them down.
And i have often seen a trucker desperately signal all he can to make a lane change, and ppl just ignore it. :(

With trucks and other big machinery - better safe than sorry, even if you have right way.

Here many ppl dont give a hoot about the big rigs, they just see them as some one who is in the way and slow them down.
And i have often seen a trucker desperately signal all he can to make a lane change, and ppl just ignore it. :(
My son is a long-haul driver so I hear a lot of stories. In this case I figured the truck wanted to get off at the exit that was right there which is why I backed off. Instead he just kept going straight ahead.

Completely agree. Lorry and HGV drivers have limited visibility around them and need people to look out for them. They tend to be respectful road users. I have a lower opinion of tipper truck drivers.

We gotte take care of those big rigs, not least Americans do.
Those guys keep the country going, and they might just have a pallet of dashcams onbord :D

...I have a lower opinion of tipper truck drivers.
Yeah, seems like most of them here tend to be jerks and a**holes as well.

that trailer must be capable of hauling some EXTREMELY heavy loads and/or is meant to drive over soft surfaces while loaded. I counted 8 axles on the trailer alone. 8x4 = 32 wheels, plus the 10 on the truck itself. it's The Answer! (but you're not going to like it) ;)

that trailer must be capable of hauling some EXTREMELY heavy loads and I counted 8 axles on the trailer alone. 8x4 = 32 wheels, plus the 10 on the truck itself.

Dude....... that is a serious weight carrying monster and over here we generally have 3 axles on a trailer but 2 or 3 or 4 trailers outback being towed by a big mother engine truck sucking up the usual fuel but hey.............

I was thinking that too...Lots of Axles on that truck.
Then I saw one of the signs (state Hwy) and your name.

I hate Michigan, thanks to the Winters and Multi Axle Trucks like that, roads are horrible.

I just drive a standard (for the US) 5 Axle Truck/Trailer.

that trailer must be capable of hauling some EXTREMELY heavy loads and/or is meant to drive over soft surfaces while loaded. I counted 8 axles on the trailer alone. 8x4 = 32 wheels, plus the 10 on the truck itself. it's The Answer! (but you're not going to like it) ;)
Unfortunately Michigan has the highest load limits in the country and our roads show it. There's some significant construction work going on in that area which is why I thought was he was trying to make that exit.

Edit: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Loads_dim_87014_7.pdf

I just noticed... what the heck date format is that? "2015/04/0017" Is that Star Trek Stardate or something? no, wait, that has a decimal, not a slash. :p

I just noticed... what the heck date format is that? "2015/04/0017" Is that Star Trek Stardate or something? no, wait, that has a decimal, not a slash. :p
Bug in the firmware - @jokiin knows about it and a fix is underway.

Dude....... that is a serious weight carrying monster and over here we generally have 3 axles on a trailer but 2 or 3 or 4 trailers outback being towed by a big mother engine truck sucking up the usual fuel but hey.............
No road trains here in the states, but i've seen pics and video of some crossing the outback - makes sense there, since rail doesn't exist in many places, so the trucks are the only way to get large amounts of goods long distances. Closest thing we have here is a simple tandem, and it seems only FedEx uses them. I hardly ever see any other logos on a tandem trailer. i've often wondered though... how do you reverse a tandem or other multi-trailer setup? and don't say "very carefully". :p

My initial thought was that four axles on the back, and four spare wheels. I only see heavy load carriers with lots of axles.
I never see trucks build with too many axles specificly to drive over soft surfaces.

usually spares are mounted horizontally under the trailer to provide ground clearance, or maybe vertical against the back of the cab. these simply look like they were raised (pulled a vacuum on the air suspension) to limit wear on the tires, save a little fuel, and make it easier to drive. i can't imagine it corners very well with all those axles lowered.

plus, that's a ridiculous amount of spares lol

We do allow Triples (Pups 28ft) on some of the turnpikes (toll roads)
If you don't know what those are think of the small UPS/FedEx Trailers usually it's just Doubles.

We also have Turnpike Doubles. 2x48ft Trailers.
And Rocky Mountain Doubles 48ft +28ft trailers.
Most common length for Van(Box) and Reefer (Refigerated) Trailers is 53ft.
Some states allow 57ft and 59ft Trailers.

[QUOTE="Gibson99, post: 141457,

plus, that's a ridiculous amount of spares lol[/QUOTE]

That is a ridiculous amount of axles for a demolition work truck, like I said, it doesn't make sense to have 8 rear axles for a semi trailer( how much weight is it going to carry) it would make more sense if they were spared, but if they all are axles then that is very unusual.

Really. Unless the axles can steer it won't take corners very well. But the front 4 axles must actually be axles and not fixed mounts for spares because fixed mounts would be worse than a low boy trailer in terms of high centering... At least an empty low boy will slide without much damage I'd it high centers.

Quick search.
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_roads_bill_to_reduce.html

MDOT has said that current weight limits are not necessarily responsible for excessive road wear because of the state’s unique regulations for weight distribution.

A truck weighing 164,000 pounds can freely operate in Michigan only if it features 11 separate axles, each carrying 13,000 pounds. Under federal rules, trucks that weigh 80,000 pounds can carry 17,000 pounds each on four axles and 12,000 pounds on a steering axle.

Back