Cobra CDR840 - Constantly getting Re-insert SD Card Error

Greenspan

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Cobra CDR840 is acting up again. I'm getting an error that tells me to reinsert the microSD card. After doing so it does some SD card initialization and then gives me the same error. Anyone get this error and have any fixes?

This Cobra dash cam has been a disaster, Loop recording randomly stops working so if I don't notice the message that the card is filled up and manually format the card it'll stop recording. The one time I had an opportunity to capture an accident the camera stopped recording. Now, it's having trouble with the SanDisk Extreme SD card. I thought buying from Costco/Cobra would get me something better quality than online from China, I guess not...

My Cobra CDR840 is acting up again. I'm getting an error that tells me to reinsert the microSD card. After doing so it does some SD card initialization and then gives me the same error. Anyone get this error and have any fixes?

This Cobra dash cam has been a disaster, Loop recording randomly stops working so if I don't notice the message that the card is filled up and manually format the card it'll stop recording. The one time I had an opportunity to capture an accident the camera stopped recording. Now, it's having trouble with the SanDisk Extreme SD card. I thought buying from Costco/Cobra would get me something better quality than online from China, I guess not...
Maybe your locked files are filling up the card. Next time the looping stops, check how many locked files are on the card before you format. Might need to lower G-Sensor sensitivity.

Could be a sign the card is failing/has failed. Try testing the card with: https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1519

Yeah, I took the card out and put it in my computer and it wasn't even recognized, the card must have failed. Put in a new card and it works fine now. I seem to remember this happening before with the CDR840, I thought SanDisk Extreme's were supposed to be durable/reliable. Any one else have experiences with the CDR840 eating SD cards?

So I've replaced the SD card, but now the new card is still filling up. I disabled the G-sensor sensitivity ("[X]: I assume that means off") but it is still filling up the card. Any suggestions?

Greenspan,

Not sure if you figured it out or if this will be any help, but I found this site because my Cobra CDR 840 was saying "Re-insert memory card" or "Memory card full". After looking at several things I can only find these possible issues. First, on the website https://www.cobra.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions# it says to loop record the video setting must be set on 3, 5 or 10. (There's options of "X" and "1"...so make sure it's 3, 5 or 10.) I turned the G-sensor off because too many pot holes triggering it were filling up my memory card. Also, it says the memory card may be bad. For some reason my clip time was set to "1" so I set it to 3 like it says. I formatted the SD card. I'm going to try it again and see what happens. Also, my brother has a Rexing V1 P dual dash cam (from Best Buy for $130.00) for a couple years now and has not had an issue one with it! I just bought a Rexing and love it. Just for grins and giggles I'm going to see if I can get this Cobra thing working again though. I'll be honest though...I'm not impressed with this Cobra dash cam. I only had it about a year before problems started.

Here are some copy/pastes from Cobra's site I was reading:

Why does my dash cam say ‘SD Card Full’ when I have it set to ‘Loop record’?
That may be a problem with the SD card, or the user may be locking files manually by tapping on the orange button which caused the SD card to get full of locked files and the unit stopped recording. The SD card must be formated by Tapping Menu button once, Select General Settings, then scroll down and select "Format", tap OK button, select the (O) to apply. That should fix the issue. If it doesn’t, then it would be necessary to try a new SD card.

Why isn't my camera loop recording automatically?
The video clip time is probably set to (X). In order for it to loop, it MUST be set to 3,5 or 10 minutes. Check video settings.

I want to purchase a replacement SD card. What type should I get?
Please note, you may use a standard SD card. However, for best video quality, we recommend using Class 6 or Class 10 SD cards. (8 GB is what it comes with.)

Greenspan,

I'm just updating this today (3-23-2019). My last post on 2-1-19...I said I changed my dash cam video setting to 3...and since then it's worked fine...it hasn't said the memory card is full, reinsert memory card or anything like that. If it gives me any other issues I'll update again.

Back