Collision down the highway from another, Secondary accident?

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2

Witnessed an accident as it occurred, but in the distance, passing the aftermath of another accident seconds later. One collision a possible secondary accident to the other?

Seems my front camera got knocked off centre and I pressed the event button a little too early .

At the end, note the little blue car use the off ramp as a passing lane right by the accident scene and then cut across the bullnose

My wife was on the phone to work and thus audio was removed.

Yes, we called *OPP

Location: Scarborough (Toronto) Westbound 401 collectors before Neilson Time: 3:58 pm

That happen a lot, often at larger accidents here police will set up a video car, and fine + mark license of the people driving buy but just got to whip out the phone and video the accident as they drive by.
In this age of social media and declining intelligence i am willing to bet rubbernecking have never been a more serious problem.

In this age of social media and declining intelligence i am willing to bet rubbernecking have never been a more serious problem.

It seems that way- everybody wants to be the first one to post things to farcebook or whatever and they are so focused on that they become oblivious to everything else around them :( In an emergency cellphones have been the best blessing ever, but otherwise they are one of the most potentially evil inventions ever made :eek: And most people use them to that full potential both ways :mad:

Phil

It seems that way- everybody wants to be the first one to post things to farcebook or whatever...
It's not a new phenomenom and it's not just posting to social media. As long as I can remember rubbernecking has been a problem around any accident site (or anything else unusual for that matter). I can't even begin to count the number of traffic backups I've been in on divided highways when there's been 'something' going on in the opposite direction across the median and people intentionally slow down to get a better look. :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be anything significant either. At least once on every road trip we take my wife will want me to 'slow down' so she can get a better look at something.

Yeah rubbernecking are a old phenomenon.

OMG i cant believe i nailed the spelling on that last word :geek: i still would not put money on me in a spelling competition :)

Yeah, it's always been a problem but now it's not just looking, but trying to use a camera at the same time too. I'd say we need to test and license cell phone users but it's not working for driving licenses so it probably wouldn't work here either :(

What I'd do if I had the power is in instances where cell phone use heavily contributed to a car crash, the guilty party would have to do a short jail term then choose whether they could have a phone license or a drivers license- not both- for the next 5 years, and if there were any violation of that they would have to serve a year in jail after which the 5 year suspension begins again.

Yes, it's harsh but it would both solve the problem as well as make people think enough to understand that they are the problem and that they need to fix that or it will get fixed for them :cautious:

Phil

Update - The provincial police called me - twice. Once two days after the accident from when I spoke to the *OPP operator (essentially 911 for the provincial police) and two days after that after I filled out a form on their website.

Danish police only call anyone if it is to tell they have the place surrounded by the assault squad and you are to come out with your hands over your head.
And that only happen like 1 time every 10 years.

At least that is my understanding watching society here, it is with great saddness i have to say i am done with those guys.

Back