Combined hardwire - Valentine 1 + Mobius camera

petesamprs

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a Mobius and hardwire it into my car. Was going to get the capacitor version with a C2 wideangle lens. Car is a BMW F10 5 series in the US.

Already have a Valentine 1 hardwired, with an RJ11 (telephone) cable running along the headliner, down the passenger A pillar and into the fuse box behind the glove box. Tapped into a fuse that is powered only when the car is on, using an Add-a-Fuse.

My goal is a for a very stealth mobius install, so i'm thinking of actually attaching the camera it to the underside of, or adjacent to, the V1 (via hot glue or strong velcro) rather than having its own mount. I'm hoping heat shouldn't be an issue as long as the heatsink is exposed.

Some questions:
- Is there any way the mobius can tap the power provided by the existing RJ11 cable for the V1, or do I need to run a dedicated power source along the same path to the fusebox? The V1's power requirements are as follows:
"Power Requirements: 11.0-16.0 Volts DC negative ground. 225 mA typical standby, 425 mA maximum alarm condition"
- If I have to run a dedicated power source for the Mobius to my fuse box, what additional parts do I need to get the mobius's USB wire to connect to my fusebox?
- Can my V1 and Mobius tap the same fuse? If so, how?

thanks.

You would need to install a 12V-5V(USB) converter so it would not be practical to connect to the RJ11. Plus you are looking for a stealthy installation so running a second cable would be the best option. There are direct connect kits for dashcams that you can wire to your fuse panel. If you are using a Fuse-Tap, you can connect both hardwire kits to the same fuse, use the same ground point, etc. if you choose. If you go that route, it would probably be easier to just buy a new Fuse-Tap instead of trying to tie into your existing setup.

Thanks that makes sense. Looks like I'll need this to step down the voltage:
If I run a second cable and want to tap the same fuse as the V1, do they make an Add-a-Fuse that has TWO additional fuses so each would have its own fuse? Or are you saying use a normal add-a-fuse, and then have both devices tie into it (one wire from each connects to the fuse tap and the other wire for each would go to ground).

Another question: I may be able to easily tap into a power source at my rear view mirror. Could I then simply use something like this (mini USB step down 12v-5v): https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U2DGJOQ
thanks.

Another question: I may be able to easily tap into a power source at my rear view mirror. Could I then simply use something like this (mini USB step down 12v-5v): https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U2DGJOQ
thanks.
If your RVM's power source is switchable, good. If not, you'd have to operate the Mobius manually because it wouldn't start/stop recording when you turn the ignition on/off.

I've decided to just run another wire and hardwire it into my fusebox like the V1. Where is the best place to buy a hardwire kit that consists of just a Mobius with C2 lens, supercapacitor (instead of battery) and 12v-5v hardwire kit? On the recommended sites the only options I see are to buy everything piecemeal (where the base Mobius comes with a battery I won't need) or with kits that contain a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I've decided to just run another wire and hardwire it into my fusebox like the V1. Where is the best place to buy a hardwire kit that consists of just a Mobius with C2 lens, supercapacitor (instead of battery) and 12v-5v hardwire kit? On the recommended sites the only options I see are to buy everything piecemeal (where the base Mobius comes with a battery I won't need) or with kits that contain a lot of unnecessary stuff.
All the Mobius come with a battery, the capacitor is sold separately.

Not at all vendors. Check my link above, they have the same Mobius with a supercap or a battery at the same price.
What I meant was all Mobius cameras come stock with a battery. What each individual vendor does it's up to them, not standard from the factory.

Back