Come see the new Dual Channel K2 dashcam in action at the INNOVV booth at the AIM Motorcycle Show in Las Vegas

OCD Tronic

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO, GitUp, INNOVV, QVIA, GUARD TRAK + More on Amazon.com
Come visit the INNOVV booth at the AIM Motorcycle Show in Las Vegas this weekend. Booth 2162. Come see the new Dual Channel K2 dashcam in action. @RockThinking himself is there (Inventor/Factory)

AB684398-2DD7-4F83-8E26-CA3825FBD626.jpegB6AC95CA-3909-4D93-9594-21ECE53C22C3.jpegF9DF7382-13D0-404D-98CB-759A745F4287.jpeg
4FCDA01E-EFC9-4AA6-9704-8CEA18C62F95.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish - i wish
Hope you guys catch a lot of interest, and make some sales.

Last edited:
How easy or hard is it to rip out one of these cameras from a parked bike? Can the remote cameras be detached without taking the seat off, kind of defeats the purpose but if needed can the cameras be detached for safe keeping?

Don't think this kind of set up would last a week here without the cameras being stolen.

Cameras don’t unclip at all and is a hard wired cable to the main DVR. It would take quite awhile to remove anything and the seat itself is locked covering the main unit.

Yes the camera housing and whole cable look to be 1 unit, and as i recall it is even screwed into the head unit too, so no just pulling it out from under the seat.
For sure you will have to run with the whole machine if it is not in a place where you can "work" on it for a long time undisturbed.
Okay will probably not stop the "right" idiot from trying and tear it all apart, thats the MO of people like that and no guarding from that other than never leave your things out of sight / reach.

Could be made a lot more secure by moulding the remote camera unit and the mount into a single unit, at least make it look tamperproof. Using custom bolt heads like aftermaket rims would be an added deterrence.

I wonder how long front camera lens will last when hit by sand, dirt, water, mud and small stones.
How many scratches after first cleaning?
Mike

Yes for outside cameras it might be a good idea with a protective glass, so it is at least not the lens itself that get scratched up.

I wonder how long front camera lens will last when hit by sand, dirt, water, mud and small stones.
How many scratches after first cleaning?
Mike

Good to see you're still around (y) An exposed lens is more vulnerable, but it's also a tiny target so unless you have luck like mine it should last awhile on a road bike. I'd think bug splat would be the bigger issue; that would be tough to remove without damaging the lens. I don't think beer would work as well as it does for bugs in the teeth :ROFLMAO:

Phil

I can answer a few of these questions, having had the C5 on my bike for a couple years (and the Bullet HD before that) and now having the K2 on my bike this summer.

Theft: You're not getting these cameras out of their mounts without tools. There is not going to be a "grab and run" kind of theft - it would take a while. The cameras are hard-wired at the camera end, the connector for each camera is at the end where it plugs (and screws) into the DVR, so again, you're not going to grab the camera and rip it out without cutting the cable, which kind of makes it worthless.

The DVR is going to be under the seat or otherwise locked somewhere on the seat where it is inaccessible.

All of that said, the cameras are pretty innocuous, most people don't even notice them on my bike unless I point them out.

Lens scratches: I ride a lot (thousands of miles a year) and have NEVER seen scratches on a lens. I have however had LOTS of bug splats. Amazingly enough, even when the camera lens is half covered in bug guts, you still get a pretty decent picture. I make a habit of taking a quick look at the camera lens at gas stops, and giving it a quick rub with my T-shirt or something if bugs or dust have gotten on it. If the bugs are hard and crusty, I use some spit, let the bug guts soften for a minute, then wipe with T-shirt. It's really not that big a problem.

As a photographer I've seen more people ruin perfectly good camera and eyeglass lenses by "wiping with a T-shirt" than I can possibly count. Any small particles or grit that happen to be on the surface of the lens will get forcefully ground into the glass in the form of little swirled scratch marks. Often the "T-shirt" will have its own embedded dirt particles that can cause damage. Over time, repeatedly cleaning a dirty lens with a T-shirt or random rag will cause the small swirls of scratches you are creating to compound to the point where the lens will lose contrast and clarity. At some point, the lens will become ruined completely.

All camera lenses should be cleaned properly by first blowing away any dust or grit and then gently cleaned with a lint free cloth or lens paper after applying a proper lens cleaning solution. Never wipe a dry lens! Never use a T-shirt or rag and avoid using spit.

Last edited:
As a photographer I've seen more people ruin perfectly good camera and eyeglass lenses by "wiping with a T-shirt" than I can possibly count. Any small particles or grit that happen to be on the surface of the lens will get forcefully ground into the glass in the form of little swirled scratch marks. Often the "T-shirt" will have its own embedded dirt particles that can cause damage. Over time, repeated cleaning a dirty lens ith a T-shirt or random rag will cause the small swirls of scratches you are creating to compound to the point where the lens will lose contrast and clarity. At some point, the lens will become ruined completely.

All camera lenses should be cleaned properly by first blowing away any dust or grit and then gently cleaned with a lint free cloth or lens paper after applying a proper lens cleaning solution. Never wipe a dry lens! Never use a T-shirt or rag and avoid using spit.

I totally agree...and I would never in a million years touch my DSLR lens with anything but proper cleaning tools (and they then get covered by sacrificial polarizing filters). BUT...a motorcycle camera is sitting out in the open subjected to constant dirt, grit, stones, bugs, etc.

What I use most often is Honda Pro Spray Cleaner - which is what I use to clean the bike. That amazing stuff will dissolve bugs in minutes, and cleans extremely well - bodywork, windshield, anything. It has the extra bonus of containing a bit of wax that leaves a water-dispersing coating. A quick squirt on the lens, wipe with a clean cloth, and good to go.

Good to see you're still around (y) An exposed lens is more vulnerable, but it's also a tiny target so unless you have luck like mine it should last awhile on a road bike. I'd think bug splat would be the bigger issue; that would be tough to remove without damaging the lens. I don't think beer would work as well as it does for bugs in the teeth :ROFLMAO:

Phil

I have to disagree that a lens is a tiny target for road grit. This summer I had to replace my truck's windshield because it had become so pitted from small particles hitting the glass that it became a safety hazard when light would strike it from certain angles. This happened partly because I live in a rural area driving on dirt roads but also because of sand that is applied to paved roads during winter conditions and from general road grit that is always hitting car windscreens at highway speeds. I don't see a "tiny" lens escaping any of these hazards just because it is so small.

I remember discussing the issue of lens protection with Rock back when I was testing a pre-production version of the C3. I suggested making a replaceable lens protector available that could be like a lens cap with a glass insert. Unfortunately, Rock rejected the idea because he didn't want to invest the money in this or any of the other ancillary accessories that the camera really needed at that time. Maybe now with the K2 available he may consider such as option.

Last edited:
I totally agree...and I would never in a million years touch my DSLR lens with anything but proper cleaning tools (and they then get covered by sacrificial polarizing filters). BUT...a motorcycle camera is sitting out in the open subjected to constant dirt, grit, stones, bugs, etc.

What I use most often is Honda Pro Spray Cleaner - which is what I use to clean the bike. That amazing stuff will dissolve bugs in minutes, and cleans extremely well - bodywork, windshield, anything. It has the extra bonus of containing a bit of wax that leaves a water-dispersing coating. A quick squirt on the lens, wipe with a clean cloth, and good to go.

Because a motocycle camera is "subjected to constant dirt, grit, stones, bugs, etc." is exactly the reason you shouldn't wipe it with a T-shirt. And spray polish may keep water off your lens but it won't protect the glass from wind driven particles.
You may not notice the subtle damage or small scratches at first but eventually it will build up to a point where it will adversely affect the quality of the images you capture.

Last edited:
As a photographer I've seen more people ruin perfectly good camera and eyeglass lenses by "wiping with a T-shirt" than I can possibly count. Any small particles or grit that happen to be on the surface of the lens will get forcefully ground into the glass in the form of little swirled scratch marks. Often the "T-shirt" will have its own embedded dirt particles that can cause damage. Over time, repeated cleaning a dirty lens ith a T-shirt or random rag will cause the small swirls of scratches you are creating to compound to the point where the lens will lose contrast and clarity. At some point, the lens will become ruined completely.

Plain old common sense, but people ruin lenses everyday like you say. Just ask in a camera store (NOT Walmart) and listen to the stories they can tell!

@Dashmellow - Yeah, I remember your windshield problems-problems-problems (original and 2 bad replacements :eek:). My point is that you have a tiny target here- not a whole windshield. For each thousand grains of sand that hit your windshield, one might hit this cam lens. The effect wouldn't be less, just the number of grains and therefore the length of time before it needed replacing. Plus the average motorcycle sees fewer miles per year than a car, with most here in the US being ridden only in good weather and not a lot of miles even then. I was one of the very few hard-core riders who rode in all conditions (I've had my beard freeze solid-honest!) and it was all I could do to manage ~30K miles per year. Short of riding in a sandstorm I think a front motorcycle cam would last at least several years unless it happened to catch a flying rock or pebble simply because only one in a thousand impacts would happen- the rest would pass by the cam ;)

With my usual luck if I were still riding mine would be smashed in a week by a brick flying off a jack-knifed semi carrying only cardboard, but that's an entirely different story :p

Phil

This discussion has led me to a simple solution to eliminate all but the most severe cam damage from road debris. Why not have a clip on lens protector similar to a cpl that is made of clear glass or plastic? It could be easily replaced when pitted or quickly pulled off and swapped out or cleaned as necessary after it has done its job as a lens protector. I would think the cover being made of a clear material could be sold for $5 or less. Motorcycle riders might buy 4 or 5 just to be able to swap out the lens protectors after they get covered by bugs and dirt. After getting back home clean up of the protective screens should be easy.

Back