Compatibility of 512 Gb card with Viofo 129 Duo

Dacug

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have bought the Viofo 129 Duo.
Because Viofo had posted somewhere in this forum that the device has got unofficial support for 512 Gb cards, I have also purchased a Sandisk Ultra microSDXC, UHS-I, A1 with 512 Gb.

The card was sold and shipped directly by Amazon. H2testw shows that it really has 512 Gb. It measures a speed of about 20 MByte/s. Connection of the SD card reader to the PC was done with a USB 3.0 cable.

Before inserting the card into the dashcam for the first time, it was formatted on a Mac to FAT32 format.

When the card is used with the dashcam having Wifi turned off:
The dashcam keeps asking to format the SD card. It doesn't matter if you select "Ok" or "Cancel", in both cases it will keep asking again to format the SD card.

When Wifi is turned on:
The dashcam does not ask to format the SD card. However, if you press the record button, it tries to record for a second. Then it exits record mode without a message, and no file is written to the SD card.

I was able to perform a firmware update from V1.9 to V2.1. The updated firmware file had been copied on a PC to the SD card. So it looks like the dashcam can read from the SD card, but not write to it.
However, both firmware versions show the same behaviour regarding the SD card.

Is there something wrong with the SD card?
Or is 512 Gb support not ready yet?

The manual says - support, up to 256GB cards.

The manual says - support, up to 256GB cards.

Thank you for your answer.
I know that this is mentioned in the manual.
However, I think that that in an older thread the user Viofo (=manufacturer) said that there was already unofficial 512 Gb support builtin in the last firmware releases.

Format the card back to default exFAT, then format it in the camera

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've just tried it. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the problem.
The dashcam shows exactly the same behaviour.

Then the 512gb card is not supported, the SDK version that they are using only supports 256gb by default

I was able to perform a firmware update from V1.9 to V2.1.
Have you checked the version number in the menu? Possibly your update failed if you used the big card...

Have you checked the version number in the menu? Possibly your update failed if you used the big card...

The menu shows V2.1, looks like the firmware update had succeeded.

I am using Samsung EVO 512GB with beta firmware 2.3. It seems to work for me without freezing or crashing like Viofo's earlier versions, although others have posted complaints about it.

I am using Samsung EVO 512GB with beta firmware 2.3. It seems to work for me without freezing or crashing like Viofo's earlier versions, although others have posted complaints about it.

I can confirm that my 512 Gb card now works as well after updating to the beta firmware 2.3 that was posted here:

Thank you @wlsparky !

Back