Compatibility of Power Magic Pro

baconbutty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys hope you are all well :)
My old dash cam Blackvue 550GW is being retired soon and a newer one is going to be used. I would like to salvage the PowerMagic Pro module and use it on the new dash cam to enable 'allways on' use but am wondering if it would be compatible. My curiosity stems from the fact that there are a number of 'Universal' type hard wire kits out there for dash cams. The PowerMagic appears to have the same lead connections so i am thinking it would be ok but not 100% sure.
Any sound advice would be very helpful as would ANY technical information aside from the product user guide.
I would be fitting it in to a Merc A-Class A180.

Best regards and a very happy New Year to all and your families :):)(y)(y)

I had a PMP with my 550 and when I swapped that for a 750, it 'just worked' no problem.

Thanks M8TJT
Although I really wanted to know if the PMP would work with other dash cams not just Blackvue products.

Yes, providing that the current drawn by the alternative cam is within the spec of the PMP.

Thanks M8TJT
Although I really wanted to know if the PMP would work with other dash cams not just Blackvue products.
Don't see why not.. it is after all.. just as switch. Your only issue is if your new device takes more power than the PMP is design to pass.. and that seems to be a guarded secret. If, that is a problem a relay wired into the circuit could turn on / off any power demand

All good so far but how does one know the circumstances in which the new device would draw more power than the PMP ?. My Merc (A-Class 2017) has keyless ignition, the usual electrical door locking etc.

All good so far but how does one know the circumstances in which the new device would draw more power than the PMP ?. My Merc (A-Class 2017) has keyless ignition, the usual electrical door locking etc.
I would make a judgement based on the size of the fuse included (or recommended) with the new device. The specs on the PMP say "Rated current 1A, Max. 2A / Under 200µA" approach this and I would consider adding a relay to the circuit. The PMP itself draws a negligible amount of power.. all you are concerned about is how much power the internals can pass through it.

Last edited:
Thanks Ralph2, that's a good answer thanks. I will now fit it with those recommendations in mind. Nice to have some technical input to understand things.
Hope your New Year went well and here's to the future(y)(y):):)

Problem solved

Back