Compatibility of series 1 Hard-Wire kit with series 2?

trailertrash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I note on Nextbase's shop that the series 1 H/W kit is listed as incompatible with series 2 cams. Reviews that I've read suggest otherwise. Can someone confirm one way or the other please?Is it just to do with the right-angled USB attachment? Oddly, Series 2 H/W kit is shown as compatible with series 1 cams...
Many thanks in advance

Hi,
I'm using a series 1 kit on my 522, the right angle wasn't a problem but the end is too thick to fit into the recess in the mount so I got a very sharp knife, one of those slide out ones with the snappable segmented blades, and carefully trimmed it down by about a millimeter each side, seems to be working fine other than alexa is very flakey but I doubt that's a power issue and I also have the wired rear cam fitted. I did ask NB support people and they told me I had to use the series 2 as it has a slightly higher power output but I didn't fancy the cost or aggro of swapping it out without trying first.

Have you already bought? One thing I wish I had known was the magnets in the mount are far too strong and if you plan to take the unit out a lot it's a real pain as it disturbs the aim or even pulls the suction mount off the screen.

Thanks Saqqara, Very helpful. No I haven't bought a 2 series yet, my 512 seems to do the job with no issues. Not that it's even been needed, fortunately!

I'm not really convinced on any benefit of an upgrade tbh, Alexa doesn't really appeal that much and its 'flakiness' seems to be reported often in the 512 forum. Also the magnet issue! Useful advice re the shaving of the connector to fit, thanks again.

I thought next base we're very naughty supplying a thicker mini USB end for the series 2 dash cams... I didn't use the one from the box as suggested above I got a file & took the sides down a few mm & works fine for me. I'd use the series 1 hardwire kit I'm tempted to get one myself

"Alexa doesn't really appeal that much and its 'flakiness' seems to be reported often in the 512 forum"

Apologies. That should, of course, have read "...522 forum..."

Thanks too to Tony lovelock for his input.

Hi,
I'm using a series 1 kit on my 322GW, it arrived yesterday & I swapped the 312GW to the 322GW & was a tight squeeze to get the connector in (but it did connect ok).
Messaged NB Tuesday to ask about the series 2 kit and same reply as to 'Saqqara' this morning. So it does work so far... One thing, I prefer the buttons on the 312 to the touch screen on the 322 & that Magnet mount is well strong..
Regards...

Also I don't know they didn't have the 422 & 522gw all black at the front like the lower range models looks more stealthier & more un noticeable when walking by etc

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm this for you.

The Series 1 Hard Wire Kit has two major differences to the Series 2 Hard Wire Kit. The Series 2 kit has a different size connector (which I can see some of you have found creative solutions for), but significantly, a different power output. The Series 1 HWK does not have adequate power output for a series 2 Dash Cam to fully function. The Series 2 HWK is however backwards compatible, so can be used on a Series 1 Dash Cam.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Back