Complex problem on Mercedes S Class Coupe, partially down to Dashcam Interference?

Submariner Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Vicovation MF3
I have recently really been put through the loop, regarding an intermitant, distorting and cutting out of Audio on my car.
It has the super dooper ... utterly overpriced Harman Kardon crap Upgrade.
There is a known problem that these Amplifiers blow out regularly. They do more than amplify sound, they are also a fiberoptic audio gateway, and an incorporated radio Tuner.
One of the known tell tales signs of HK Amp. Failure, is one loses the Radio Stations either the names or the frequencies.
Initially I didnt seem to lose the starion names, but after weeks of intermitant working, a few times the station names disappeared.

Today I got my repaired HK Amp back from the repairer .. fortunately no fatal water damage, just some blown output stage mosfets. Note they did not find any issues with the integral radio tuner element.

All good or so I thought. And to some extent still do.

CD works perfectly and so does the Radio. When the car is starionery on Ign. Pos 1. (Note my Dashcams are off in this position).

I went for a drive, and I thought I would check everything, ref recommending the repairer to others with faulty HK Amps!.

BBC Radio 2 sounded bad, so did Capital radio. I also couldn't find a lot of stations, OK we dont have great radio reception here, but prior to this the Mercedes radio worked almost perfectly.

I drove home, and still had terrible radio reception, I could hardly find any stations.

End prognoses:
The CD works perfectly all the time.

With the engine off, the Radio is crystal clear and has oodles of named stations.
Start the engine, and you get horrible interference, (not engine whine), but very weak reception noises, and it looses most of the station names, but you can see the frequencies, note the intefrerence is only on the Radio.

Note I had wired in a dual USB charger port, from the rear cigar lighter fuse for the 2 Dash-cams.

The odd thing, I remembered seeing on a dash cam forum, someone mentioned they had radio interference with a dash cam.

So, pretty despondent about my amplifier repair, thinking they hadn't repaired the Amplifier properly, in desperation I unplugged both dash cams USB power cables ...
Hey Ho perfect Radio sound!, good reception and loads of named stations, whether the car was stationery or driving!

So I tried it stationery, with the Cameras reconnected, with the engine off, Ign. Pos 1. (Note dashcams are connected but not powered) .. great reception! All stations, > 20 were visible.

Switch to Ign.2 and on come the Dashcams. And the interference starts and I start to get partial loss of stations! Then in a few seconds most, say 90% of the radio stations disappear!

I then Unplugged the Dashcams one by one;
when I unplugged the front Camera the interference reduces, with one disconnected, then I removed the other rear Dash-cam USB cable from the USB port, and Radio recovers perfectly, and all stations, circa 20+ all come back! no interference!
clear.png

So I assume, the USB power charger circuitry is all fine; as everything works perfectly in the Mercedes as long as the dashcams are not powered!

Note one USB cable goes along the centre console and up the A Pillar and to the centre of the windscreen.
And the other goes across the rear parcel shelf and curves up quite near the rear windshield Ariel!
The S Class also has a radio antenna amplifier in the centre of roof at the rear, near the rear windscreen.

Q. I feel The repairer did repair the Amplifier and Tuner properly, and its all down to these dam dashcams!
Note the repairer didn’t find any fault with the Radio Tuner element, so I assume they left it alone. Would you agree this interference is all down to the dashcams and nothing to do with the Amplifier Repair?

I also noticed, that even with the Dashcams connected, and the engine on, i.e. Cameras are powered, I can see all the FM frequency numbers, so I assume the Tuner is tuning to the right frequency, but as I then get no station names; my assumption is that the interference from the Dashcams is so great, that the Tuner is unable to “lock onto a station” ..... is that logic valid?

Here is the real pig! I bluntly NEVER listen to the Radio. So I dont know whether the Dashcams actually caused interference to the Radio, before I had these Amplifier intermittant problems.

I was positive that my Amplifier problem was not like the usual fault ... re the issue of always loosing Station Names, but then later, I discovered that maybe 15% of the time, (that the Amplifier started to work), that I lost Radio station names.
I now suspect, this could well have been, that when I was testing it when it distorted, I naturally turned the radio on just to check if it had lost radio station names. and that only a few of the times I tested it did I actually start the engine (and this activated the Dashcams), which then showed a loss of station names.

Has anyone heard of dashcams causing serious radio reception problems? Particularly has anyone noticed it could degrade the radio reception, to a point that it lost the ability to tune into a Station? i.e. would not display the station name?

Is my logic right, that its unlikely the Amp repair could have effected the ability to reject radio reception Interference , especially as they found no fault with the radio tuner; so logically the repairer would not have touched the integrated tuner section?

As I never listen to the radio, this doesn't cause me any inconvenience regarding the dashcams.
I Just want to be sure the Amp was repaired properly, which I am 98% sure it was.
I dont think this interference could damage the amp if I don't listen to the radio and run the engine.

The rear cam installation position
34E91B8F-6FDD-47DF-AAB3-C55B4341EB8F.jpeg

Last edited:
radio interference is a common issue, anything with DAB, in glass or amplified antennas are more prone to picking up noise

radio interference is a common issue, anything with DAB, in glass or amplified antennas are more prone to picking up noise

I also get it on FM is that normal?
I realise now, slapping these electrified devices and a cables right next to a glass laminated screen full of wires is not too clever!!

cables in close proximity to antenna wiring can introduce noise, power supply can also cause it, where is the power supply and what type is it?

cables in close proximity to antenna wiring can introduce noise, power supply can also cause it, where is the power supply and what type is it?

Powersupply comes off rear SAM fuse box, located just rear of rhe rear armrest stowage recess, sort of at the back of the ski hole, pigtails off redundant S Class rear cigar lighter fuse.
The power supply is an Amazon USB dual charger port.
No major brand like say Belkin. But not the cheap as chips eBay variety
GEREE Universal Rocker Style Car USB Charger - with Blue LED Light Dual USB Power Socket for Rocker Switch Panel https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01J9QA1MC
And
JuicEBitz 4m [20AWG Pure Copper] USB to Micro B Right Angle 90 Degree [L Shape] Fast Charger Data Cable Lead for Android Phones & Tablets, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, LG, Nokia Lumia, Sony Xperia, Nexus, BlackBerry and More (4m, Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01M70GQUX

you could try another power supply and see how you go, try powering the camera off a USB power bank if you have one, that will isolate the camera from the vehicles electrical system and can help to track down the problem

you could try another power supply and see how you go, try powering the camera off a USB power bank if you have one, that will isolate the camera from the vehicles electrical system and can help to track down the problem
Thanks I was going to,do that.
As its isolated being a 2000mA battery.
Plus I alsomhave a short 500mm lead

OK I tried it using my TQKA 5V 2000 mA Battery pack.
As soon as the power hits the dash cams the radio gets horrible interference.

I am Not very good with electrics, OK hopeless.

I therefore feel its not the 12v to 5V USB charger socket. As it sound pretty much the same strength of interference using the battery pack.

By deduction its either something in the dashcams, or its radiating along the USB Cables. Or both.

I thought of unplugging the USB cable at the rear dashcam end, and switching the power button on.
Would doing that prove the cables were at fault?
Or would it need a current flowing through them.
Sadly I can’t plug say an iphone in as its B type of USB. On the Camera end.

My other idea was to use the short 500mm USB cable from rear camera to the battery pack.
Would this be a reasonable test that the USB cables were at fault?

If its the cables then I could change these, however if its the Camera; then I think I am stuffed.
Because if its radiating interference out of the camera, I dont see how I could stop that being picked up by the rear windscreen antennae ? As the camera is stuck on the windscreen.
Any ideas?

Out of interest, what in a camera could cause interference ( its a sort of low pitched repetative ...”wha wha wha” sound).
Do they convert the 5V back to 12v inside the camera?

Also if the intereference “generator” is in the camera, would it then naturally radiate out along the USB cable.?

OK I tried the rear Camera powered by the TQKA Battery and a short 300mm USB Cable (same make).
As soon as the power was turned on (with the button on the battery), the interference started. :(

Not sure what to make of that result. Other than it seems any power to the Camera produces interference, therefore its the Camera! .
Interestingly as I leant towards the original long Cable to undo it, as I touched the cable the interference really dropped.

With the short lead attached to the battery pack, and on even just waving it near the rear windshield, started a little interference.
Very sensitive antennae amplifier?

TBH I am pretty much out of ideas on solving this,

- Maybe very well shielded USB cables might reduce it,

- Would those clip on Ferrite Ring things control this, if say I put one near the camera?
I ordered a few from eBay just incase.

Not sure what to make of that result. .
from your tests it would lean toward the camera being the problem

Very sensitive antennae amplifier?
if it's an in glass antenna that's very likely, if it's a roof type then it's still probable, amplified antennas are there to boost signal, unfortunately they also boost any induced noise or signal that doesn't belong so this is a fairly common problem, a camera running different hardware might be less susceptible, but it may be something you can't totally eliminate, vehicle manufacturers design things to do the job at hand and don't really take into account other accessories that you might add on yourself

Have you considered installing a decent DAB radio aerial?

Not sure where you put it on your car though, maybe on the wing, maybe not, you don't seem to have one?

don't think that's going to help with his FM reception problem though
Well he says that he doesn't listen to FM ... or any other radio!

from your tests it would lean toward the camera being the problem

if it's an in glass antenna that's very likely, if it's a roof type then it's still probable, amplified antennas are there to boost signal, unfortunately they also boost any induced noise or signal that doesn't belong so this is a fairly common problem, a camera running different hardware might be less susceptible, but it may be something you can't totally eliminate, vehicle manufacturers design things to do the job at hand and don't really take into account other accessories that you might add on yourself
Thanks I think you are pretty much on track here

Have you considered installing a decent DAB radio aerial?

Not sure where you put it on your car though, maybe on the wing, maybe not, you don't seem to have one?

Honestly I never listen to the radio, just need the car performing to spec for when I sell it.
If its just a dashcam thing then I would just remove them.

There is a Mercedes retro fit DAB control module to i tegrate into the centrsl Comand system and that comes with an ariel and amplifier etc. ££££££ not worth it for someone who isnt into radio.
Plus an imminent car upgrade, means that would make no sense in my situation.

Last edited:
yet he wants it to work, go figure

The go figure bit is simple.

Having had the amplifier (that has an integrated radio tuner) repaired this week ( the repair seems to be 100% successful ).
I need to be sure it is working properly, and that this Radio interference, is purely down to dashcams and not a fault in the tuner element of the amplifier.

And the reason is I plan to upgrade the car in about 4-8 months.
A) I want top dollar for it.
B) I want a clear concience, when I say to any prospective owner that she is perfect, that the car is perfect.
I am not into conning anyone!
And as the amplifier cost £1400 and say £200 labour. I wouldnt want a new owner to find they had to buy a new amplifier, and outlay £1,600.

Unusually the repairer offers a lifetime gurantee on the amplifier for the duration of my ownership. So its not the usual scenario of needing to check the repair was done asap. As there is no urgency in this situation.

Back