Computer freezes trying to read A119 mp4 vids

Len Dennis

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
I've used the A119 all last summer and successfully viewed the mp4 files on my computer. Just back on the road now and although A119 records as its supposed to, everytime I try to view a clip on my win7 computer, it freezes and I have to force a warm boot.

Doesn't matter which program I use (vlc or WMP), the computer/clip just locks up and I have to reboot.

For giggles, I connected the cam to my android tablet and selected a clip. It plays (sound and vid) just like it's supposed to.

Nothing has changed with my computer and I'm at a loss. Running win7 home.

While trouble shooting, I did change some parameters in vlc (which I never had to do before) and although wmp would now play the clip, video was "dumbed down" to basic (instead of normal aero--which I used successfully last summer to view the clips).

I should mention that when this started (today), I did upgrade the camera firmware (now 3.2 , I do believe). The clip that I subsequently (successfully) viewed on android was using this updated firmware.

Any ideas?

Re: copying vids--> tried both ways (direct from camera and copy first then view). Neither worked. Both methods lock it up.
Re: av codecs. I'll look into that.

One thing (that is a temp work around): I converted the mp4 vids to MKV format (DIVX) and I can view them that way on my computer.

I do know it's something with my computer though as my brother can see the mp4 (no issue) on his win7 machine.

First try installing the K-lite codec pack, if that doesn't help try a different PC or laptop. If the files plays fine, try rolling back using the Restore Point feature on your Win7 machine. And if that doesn't work, I'd reinstall the operating system.

Agh!!! Never install codec packs!
Reinstall VLC

Edit: to check for video files if the codec is installed/supported, there is this utility
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

that won't help if he's missing a codec still

VLC contains it's own codecs, installing codec packs won't do anything. I doubt it's a codec problem unless his install got messed up. In that case reinstalling would fix it. My bet it's something else.

I can't remember the last time I used a codec pack.

most likely he has some other software which is screwed things up, a default Win7 install will play these files without VLC or any other 3rd party software, if it doesn't it's a good sign that some other software has altered the settings

I uninstalled vlc, cleaned out everything and installed it (newer version). Neither version will play it (which used to play it last summer).

install the K-Lite codec pack and there's a good chance it will work, if it doesn't there's something wrong in your Windows setup

Something may have corrupted , causing issues . May not be directly related to VLC .
I would be concerned about Trojans Viruses when stuff like this happens as they often modify reg keys etc .
So when a puter starts to run funny = Time to worry about worse things .
A - can you roll back ? ( Restore points ) , or try the repair function .

What are your settings in VLC under Tools>Preferences>Input/Codec? Also what are the specs of your PC?

it'll take a day or two to post that TCK81 (work constraints).

VLC specs are default (revo uninstaller, re-installed, no changes).
WMP won't play it
MPC--won't play them either.

Win 7 home, I7 930, not o/c . HD5850. It's a sw problem of some sort not hardware.

I've "got" an mp4 movie (not from the dashcam) that plays no problem.

Is that movie encoded using h264?

Do you have latest AMD drivers installed for video card? Or did you update them recently? Do you have GPU decoding enabled in VLC? Try toggling it on\off.

Maybe upload the original file from your A119 to a file sharing service to verify no one else has a problem.

VLC specs are default (revo uninstaller, re-installed, no changes).
WMP won't play it
MPC--won't play them either.

Win 7 home, I7 930, not o/c . HD5850. It's a sw problem of some sort not hardware.

I've "got" an mp4 movie (not from the dashcam) that plays no problem.

Check the mp4 file with this utility https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Back