Confused

NerdyMate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a DR900S-2ch installed by a local shop, hard wired using the Power Magic Pro.

I am confused about Parking mode and I am doubting whether the dashcam has been wired properly, so bear with me with a few questions:

1. With the Power Magic Pro Switch to the ON position and the setting the on DashCam set as Parking Mode as OFF, should the camera be recording continuously? ( i.e the camera is PERMANENTLY ON recording footage to the card until the voltage drops to cut power to the camera)

- mine is recording continuously

2. If I set the Power Magic Pro Switch to the OFF position and in camera Parking Mode setting ON, how long would it take before the DashCam shuts down after the engine is switched OFF and should it go into Parking mode?

- mine goes into Parking mode is switching off after several minutes I think because the battery voltage is low
(I suspect the battery charge is low as I keep getting messages about the power steering having reduced power - this is what happened after I had just bought the car and was fixed when the battery was topped up)

I have a a feeling the DashCam has not been hardwired properly

Thanks

1. With the Power Magic Pro Switch to the ON position and the setting the on DashCam set as Parking Mode as OFF, should the camera be recording continuously? ( i.e the camera is PERMANENTLY ON recording footage to the card until the voltage drops to cut power to the camera)

parking mode off means record continuously, doesn't mean camera will turn off, leave the PMP and parking mode switched ON if you want parking mode

Thanks

So essentially what you are saying is once hardwired (and assuming the PMP is permanently ON if it is not user accessible), the camera remain ON and Parking Mode just means its writing to the card with motion/impact rather than continuously.

I would have thought that Parking mode meant the camera would remain live only if the in camera setting are set to Parking Mode On and turn OFF if Parking mode was turned OFF in camera

Any idea about Q 2?

Thanks

So essentially what you are saying is once hardwired (and assuming the PMP is permanently ON if it is not user accessible), the camera remain ON and Parking Mode just means its writing to the card with motion/impact rather than continuously.

I would have thought that Parking mode meant the camera would remain live only if the in camera setting are set to Parking Mode On and turn OFF if Parking mode was turned OFF in camera

Any idea about Q 2?
If you're hardwired, regardless of the parking mode being switch ON/OFF the camera will continue to draw power and stay on.
Other brands like Thinkware can do what you're looking to do while hardwired. The Blackvue, unfortunately, can not.

OK one last question:

I have just come back from the checking the car

PMP was switched off when I locked the car earlier, Camera had powered down after about 7 minutes.

So as I went out, I

Unlocked car, switched PMP ON, but no light on PMP, Dashcam stays OFF

Turn on ignition to accessory, still no light on PMP, Dashcam remains OFF

If this correct function?

I'm thinking the battery voltage is low hence, hence PMP is not coming ON?

So with the PMP set to OFF, should Dashcam take several minutes to power down?

OK one last question:

I have just come back from the checking the car

PMP was switched off when I locked the car earlier, Camera had powered down after about 7 minutes.

So as I went out, I

Unlocked car, switched PMP ON, but no light on PMP, Dashcam stays OFF

Turn on ignition to accessory, still no light on PMP, Dashcam remains OFF

If this correct function?

I'm thinking the battery voltage is low hence, hence PMP is not coming ON?
@jokiin is correct

Sorry one more Q

If the PMP is set to ON and is currently ON (light ON), would moving the switch to OFF will still work to turn it OFF (light would turn OFF) (or it would need a voltage rise again to change it's state just like from OFF to ON?

Sorry one more Q

If the PMP is set to ON and is currently ON (light ON), would moving the switch to OFF will still work to turn it OFF (light would turn OFF) (or it would need a voltage rise again to change it's state just like from OFF to ON?
From what we've seen, the light should and switch should turn ON/OFF as per its own function.
Depending on how depleted the battery is, it may switch back on. If not, start the vehicle again.

With PMP switched OFF, the camera will switch on and off with the ignition. There is a short delay between ignition off and the cam going off (about 5 seconds). With the ignition off, the camera should not remain recording after the short delay, but should power down.

With PMP switched ON, switching on the ignition (and possibly having to start the engine to fire up the PMP), the camera will switch on and start recording in normal mode. After driving around, when you park up and after the time delay built into the cam times out (about 2 mins IIRC), the cam will go into parking mode and stay there until either; the 'set by the switches' time expires; or the battery voltage drops below the 'switch set' threshold voltage.

IIRC, the LED on the PMP is lit at any time the camera is powered regardless of the position of the PMP on/off switch. I'll have to check to confirm that though.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I posted in the other thread as despite the helpful reply I received, I still could not resolve my issue.

"With the ignition off, the camera should not remain recording after the short delay, but should power down."

- so can I assume if 3 minutes after I switched off the ignition (and locked the car) and the camera recording LED is still blinking, then that means it's still receiving power despite PMP is OFF

"With PMP switched ON, switching on the ignition (and possibly having to start the engine to fire up the PMP), the camera will switch on and start recording in normal mode"

- so it comes out off parking mode with ignition rather than detecting motion? (ignition on, remaining stationary); mine only comes out of parking mode after I have driven about 100 yrds

keep in mind the camera can't detect any changes in voltage, the PMP will change modes but the camera relies on movement/lack of movement to decide what to do

"With the ignition off, the camera should not remain recording after the short delay, but should power down."

Yes, if PMP switch (Parking mode switch) is at OFF position, the dashcam should power down within few seconds after ignition is turned off. In your case if the dashcam stays ON , check whether ACC wire of PMP is correctly connected.

"With PMP switched ON, switching on the ignition (and possibly having to start the engine to fire up the PMP), the camera will switch on and start recording in normal mode"

Case 1: Dashcam is OFF --> Ignition ON --> Dashcam powers up and starts normal recording (regardless of the PMP switch position)
Case 2: Dashcam is ON and recording in Parking mode --> Ignition ON --> Keeps recording in parking mode for few minutes --> Switches to Normal mode recording

I am confused about Parking mode and I am doubting whether the dashcam has been wired properly, so bear with me with a few questions:

This is correct.
2. If I set the Power Magic Pro Switch to the OFF position and in camera Parking Mode setting ON, how long would it take before the DashCam shuts down after the engine is switched OFF
The parking mode setting is irrelevant. The cam should start its shut down procedure after about 5 seconds and be completely shut down after a few more. The white light may be flashing whilst it does this,
and should it go into Parking mode?
No. It will shut down before it has time to go goes into parking mode.

With PMP switched OFF, the power to the cam is removed about 5 seconds after the ignition is switched off. The cam will only switch to parking mode with the PMP switched ON.
With PMP switched ON, it keeps the supply to the camera on, so the cam will enter parking mode (if selected) after a 'no movement delay' and then remain in that state until you start the engine, or the PMP times out or your battery voltage drops below the threshold.
If you start your engine, the cam goes back from parking mode into normal mode after a few seconds.

My brain is hurting.

Thanks, that's much clearer.

I dug up my old battery charger and fully charged my battery.

Hopefully after testing how the Dashcam works tomorrow, I'll get a better idea

:cautious::unsure:

This is correct.
The parking mode setting is irrelevant. The cam should start its shut down procedure after about 5 seconds and be completely shut down after a few more. The white light may be flashing whilst it does this,No. It will shut down before it has time to go goes into parking mode.

With PMP switched OFF, the power to the cam is removed about 5 seconds after the ignition is switched off. The cam will only switch to parking mode with the PMP switched ON.
With PMP switched ON, it keeps the supply to the camera on, so the cam will enter parking mode (if selected) after a 'no movement delay' and then remain in that state until you start the engine, or the PMP times out or your battery voltage drops below the threshold.
If you start your engine, the cam goes back from parking mode into normal mode after a few seconds.

My brain is hurting.

Thanks for this.
My 900s is taking some time to power up on movement/ignition, (Looking for the red LED)

Also I'm not getting a GPS light at all.
Could be the unit, could be the positioning or I've switched the LED off in options!
Will check the switches and options and maybe go back into options and restore some LED indicators for a while, until I get more familiar with it!

If however you have connected the ignition switched power to an ACC circuit that has a delayed shutdown it may stay on for 5 mins or more depending on which circuit and how long its delay is.
In VW's there are several things that stay live for quite a few minutes.
It does pay to meter out the circuit you choose and see what it actually does rather than stuff it in and end up like the OP.
I usually hook up the meter and test by sitting there waiting to see what happpens and if testing a permanent feed I leave vehicle shut locked and meter on for 30 mins at least

Back