Confusion on Amperage of fuse taps

Dashcamuser567

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my fuse tap for my dashcam I have the first (top) fuse as the 5A fuse that was included by the manufacturer. The second (bottom) fuse is the one I get from my car's fuse box. Currently I am tapped into two separate 5A fuses with the cam fuse being 5A also. Is this fine?

I saw a YouTube video saying the fuse on the bottom needs to be bigger than the fuse on the top so the top 5A fuse can protect the camera and also not blow the fuse of the actual car since the bottom fuse will be bigger like 10A or 20A (so you can still use the car).

Should I change the fuse to a different spot with higher amps? I have had it for a couple days and it works fine. But I wanted to make sure I dont blow a fuse if my cam decides it needs more power.

Attachments

• Inkedimages_LI.jpg
    Inkedimages_LI.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 13
Use the fuse that matches the circuit, don't go adding a higher rated fuse, the fuse is there to protect the vehicle, not the device

Use the fuse that matches the circuit, don't go adding a higher rated fuse, the fuse is there to protect the vehicle, not the device

No I mean if I take out the car's fuse from the fuse tap and move the fuse tap into another fuse that is rated higher. Like now it is plugged into my acc fuse that is 5A. I was thinking of swapping the fuse tap to my cig lighter that is i think 10A or 20A. and reverting the acc fuse to normal (with no tap)

Power draw from a dashcam is minimal, the circuit that had a 5amp fuse would still be fine

Okay, just wanted to make sure since some people over on reddit were saying the A129 Duo I have can draw up to 3.1A or something (according to viofo's site) and my fuse may pop if the cam or car takes too much power. Just got me a little paranoid since I didn't want anything to happen to the cam or my car.

Okay, just wanted to make sure since some people over on reddit were saying the A129 Duo I have can draw up to 3.1A or something (according to viofo's site) and my fuse may pop if the cam or car takes too much power. Just got me a little paranoid since I didn't want anything to happen to the cam or my car.
3.1A is what the Viofo 2 port USB car adapter is rated for. The A129 will draw less than 1A.

3.1A is what the Viofo 2 port USB car adapter is rated for. The A129 will draw less than 1A.

Gotcha. Thanks for that. I did end up switching the fuse taps and i tapped into the cig lighter (15A, bottom right) and the s/roof (20A, 6th from the bottom left) which i assume is the sunroof even though my car doesnt have one the fuse was missing so i bought a 20A fuse for it according to the fuse panel. Tested and everything works as normal!

Attachments

• 3A428F4F-4A0F-4AB6-86E9-BDD45781E67F.jpeg
    3A428F4F-4A0F-4AB6-86E9-BDD45781E67F.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 9
Back