Confusion reigns at mini roundabouts...

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Mini roundabouts are often fun... Today's fun came in the shape of a van, who (had? it was a long wheel base) drove over the bump,but then the solver VW wanted to do a 180° turn and didn't manage it, causing the little white car to stop, and the red van behind to stop. No collision luckily, just wish I had been the front car so I could have seen some startled or angry faces, lol...

Last edited:
Over here (across the pond), roundabouts are rare. (I think we call them traffic circles. :unsure: ) So, we have very little experience with them.
Anyway, that maneuver seems rather inconsiderate, yes?
Is it even legal?
That car should have just driven another 200' and turned around in a proper spot.

Commercial vehicles or long vehicles are allowed to go over the hump, but cars are not meant to. The mini roundabouts have to be treated the same as a full one. IE, give way to traffic from the right. so the vans are OK if they are too long to use the (narrow) width of the road.

It is not illegal I don't think, to do a U_Turn at a roundabout, but it is as you mentioned, better to find a safer place than assume the traffic from your right is going to know your plans - they would expect a logical right turn onto the other road.

Over here (across the pond), roundabouts are rare. (I think we call them traffic circles. :unsure: ) So, we have very little experience with them.
Traffic circles have different rules, they don't work as well as roundabouts, we only have roundabouts here.
It is not illegal I don't think, to do a U_Turn at a roundabout, but it is as you mentioned, better to find a safer place than assume the traffic from your right is going to know your plans - they would expect a logical right turn onto the other road.
A 360 on a mini roundabout is fine for a London Taxi, although it needs to be done slowly to make sure others realise what you are doing. For other vehicles better to find a place that matches your turning circle since reversing on a roundabout is not safe.

This was yesterday, at the very start of the clip the van behind me drives directly over the circle, which could get him a fixed penalty ticket, and then at the second roundabout the Renault in front gets blocked by the Skoda, but maybe only because the Renault drives totally the wrong side of the circle...

I don't think my car would actually get around the circle, having a rather poor turning circle, so I could probably drive over that 2nd roundabout legally, not sure that driving anti-clockwise like the Renault would be acceptable though!

Back