Connect my 512GW to PC via Wi-Fi, instead of USB.

45RPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512GW
Hello DashCam users

Can someone please tell me how to connect my 512GW to my PC via Wi-Fi.

I managed to get the camera into Wi-Fi mode. Then I was OK on my PC detecting and connecting to the camera with the given password.

I was then expecting to see the camera’s files on my PC in File Explorer.

The instruction manual says:
Wi-Fi Connectivity
Connect your smartphone or tablet device to the Dash Cam, can be used to Start/Stop recording
or to view or download files from the Dash Cam.”​

Other than that, it offers no help at all.

Thanks

Tablet or Smartphone, not PC AFAIK.

USB an issue ?

Hi,

You can't connect to the computer using Wi-Fi unfortunately.

Only via the USB cable or by inserting the SD card into your computer.

The Wi-Fi is for Cam Viewer only.

Hi,

You can't connect to the computer using Wi-Fi unfortunately.
That's a shame. It would be a useful facility.

Some of the newer satnavs can be fully managed wirelessly via a desktop PC.

They do - the difference here is we are talking about transferring a maximum of 128Gb of data through a Wi-Fi signal, it would be unnecessarily slow and not a good user experience.

The USB cable/directly inserting the SD card will give what ever speed the card/reader is capable of.

They do - the difference here is we are talking about transferring a maximum of 128Gb of data through a Wi-Fi signal, it would be unnecessarily slow and not a good user experience.

The USB cable/directly inserting the SD card will give what ever speed the card/reader is capable of.

Hello Tiffany

Thanks for the reply.

All I am saying is that if there is a facility on a tablet then I see no reason not to extend this to PC.

I don't understand: why is it a good experience on a tablet but using the same technology on a PC not a good experience.

All I am saying is that if there is a facility on a tablet then I see no reason not to extend this to PC.

I don't understand: why is it a good experience on a tablet but using the same technology on a PC not a good experience.

I think the point is that if you need to download them to your phone following an accident, you can do so - but if you're at home and have access to a PC, you are also not in the car, so can either disconnect the dash cam to take it inside and connect it to the PC, or take the SD card with you. The WiFi is there as a convenience to allow you to back up and view the video files on the move.

Hi @45RPM

I'm sorry I seem to have missed this when you posted!

Yes as @darko8472 has mentioned: the Wi-Fi transfer speed if multiple times slower than transferring through a USB2 or USB3.

If you're on the computer you don't have to wait a few minutes for the data to transfer across, its available instantly and this is the expectation.

Thanks Darko & Tiffany for replies. Nice little forum this; very informative.

Happy filming

Back