Connect rear cam to nextbase 512gw

My Android HTC 10 just goes into an endless loop of confirming the WiFi signal and losing it.
I never get to the point of trying to transfer files. The phone was within a foot of the front dashcam.
This, however, is not a problem for me as I prefer to disconnect the dashcam and plug it into my PC workstation.
For me, the camera does everything I want superbly, but I decided to report my experience to aid others who may depend on this feature.
I will try the WiFi again in the coming days/weeks and if there is anything I can add I will report it here.

This sometimes happens when one of the devices you want to pair has a low battery

I've just tried connecting wirelessly to the cam (done before with no problem). Since FW update/rear cam addition can't connect.

My phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) detects the cam but as soon as I try to connect the cam drops out of wireless mode and I get menu for selecting where rear cam is displayed.

In hindsight should have tried with rear cam disconnected to see if the FW is the issue.

I am beginning to have serious doubts about Nextbase.

I m experiencing these same problems ie WiFi and looping, yet when I emailed technical support I got a reply from "Ryan" indicating it could be the speed of my card or the fact the card needs reformatting that is the problem when clearly it is awidespread software problem.

Come on Nextbase debug the firmware, get it re-issued and stop treating your customers as goons.

Can anyone with no rear cam connected and using this FW comment if they are having wireless issues.

My S7 is also on Android 7 too. Will have another play tomorrow.

I suspect but could be wrong here it may be a problem with certain device or certain versions of Android.

I could not connect to the WiFi with the rear camera connected, since the firmware update to 21.6 no issues since.

Honor 9 phone running Android 8

Also used my Acer iconia tablet running Android 6

Both work fine for me.

Discovered yet another problem today.

Checking footage from yesterday I thought maybe the exposure needed slight correction, also wanted to check resolution.

When looking at resolution menu I was presented with options I had not seen before, namely Options B2 - B9, these options then went on to a final B16 at this point the unit went into a loop and locked was constantly giving audio beep and was completely locked, once again my only option was to press reset, if I cycled through the options the other way (up) I got to the normal options and was not able to return to A & B options, very strange!

Also when finally getting the unit to operate, sigh, the first time I powered up the unit it appeared to be operating correctly, I could access rear camera output by pressing Mode button, yet there was no rear camera video written to card.

The second, and subsequent power ups the unit appears to be operating, although I now have no confidence at all in this rear camera system, should I need it, for evidential purposes, I cannot be sure it will provide me with the footage I would need, so sorry I bought this unit, should have bought second independent rear camera.

This rear camera and / or software is pants, when will Nextbase iron out these bugs, it is so frustrating I could throw the bloody thing into the nearest river!

Rant over.

After reading the above posts regarding wifi issues I thought Id try mine out. It used to work before I updated firmware and got the rear cam.

I don't think it's just a Android problem, I'm using a Iphone 5s.

In the car with front and rear cam connected the wifi signal connected between camera and phone, when I try to view/download a file on the Iphone via the Nextbase Cam Viewer app, the spinning wheel just turned forever but no file to view although there were files recorded on the card. The wifi screen on the 512 gw had frozen, I had to use the reset button to restart the camera.

Disconnected the rear camera and and tried again, the result was the same as above. Had to reset the camera again.

Took the front cam off and connected to my pc in the house, still no wifi. Thinking it might have something to do with the Dual Files setting I turned it off. Result still the same. Still had to reset the camera via the reset button.

Reformatted the card in the dashcam to a short video without the rear cam attached, wifi between 512GW & Iphone connected but still couldn't view or download files. result same as above.

FW v 21.6SD card is a 64gb Transcend High Endurance card
Cam Viewer App (IOS) version 2.3.2 (133)
IOS V 11.4 on Iphone.

I don't know if it is the firmware or the Cam Vewer app or both causing the problem, tbh I'm not too fussed about the wifi between phone and camera, if a copper wants to see anything he will just need to wait.

Last edited:
I don't have any problem connecting to wi-fi using an old Google nexus tablet. however sometimes the videos don't play back smoothly, but after downloading they play back fine.

Please read new thread "Rear cam has dodgy socket / plug"

Hi guys.

I’m being really thick here (could be an age thing) - but I can’t see anyway of updating firmware via the Cam Viewer App as suggested by Nextbase.

Can someone help please?

Many thanks.DAB0417F-384A-4EA0-9E3D-24039436AFCF.jpeg

Tap on the three lines top left and then go to settings.

It depends on what version you're on at the moment, if its a very old version you may not have that option.

Reactions: JOT
Tap on the three lines top left and then go to settings.

It depends on what version you're on at the moment, if its a very old version you may not have that option.

What settings do you suggest?

Dash cam settings?

I can see current firmware but no option to update.
242262C7-B12B-482B-B300-AF1FB9C36E7F.png

Attachments

• 9FD935B4-40B4-4555-800A-ECA6F386C0E8.png
    9FD935B4-40B4-4555-800A-ECA6F386C0E8.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Looks like I've missed the rear camera too! I confess I'm another lurker, I found the forum after googling availability in March (my local Halfords advised me to buy the 512GW and come back a few days later to buy the rear camera, which they said would definitely be in stock within a week!). I've been checking here every 2 or 3 days since.

I wish I'd bought another camera now.

Similar for me.

The whole thing has been an ugly mess by NextBase. Delay after delay and now its out you cant get one.

Ah yes @JOT that would need to be done on the computer. Do you have one? If you like call on 02920 866 429 or email support@nextbase.co.uk and we can go through each step with you. Here until 6pm today and from 10am - 5pm tomorrow.

@Sirv we emailed everyone who had provided us with contact information on Monday 4th June. I note you joined the forum on 31st May and started posting June 6th so I wouldn't have known to include you in my post on 2nd June. I am unsure if you provided us with your email address to be emailed on the 4th June? Halfords should have another delivery of cameras at the beginning of July. They were on a first come first served basis.

Reactions: JOT
Thanks for your response Tiffany.

I am not at home yet to connect to a laptop to update firmware - however having connected the rear camera, it is now showing on the front cam display ...... but now I can’t see the videos on the app ☹️

Should it be this painful or will the firmware update resolve this?C6C535F3-2E82-423E-9612-7135D1766FC4.jpeg1F8AC35F-1F0E-46C9-B9AA-5895EAFEFAF9.pngC6C535F3-2E82-423E-9612-7135D1766FC4.jpeg1F8AC35F-1F0E-46C9-B9AA-5895EAFEFAF9.png

You're on 14.6, its likely you will experience things like this as it wasn't fully optimised for the rear cam.

21.6 should sort out all of that, I'd recommend doing that as soon as possible.

Back