Connect Vicovation Power-Plus Directly to Battery?

knapp7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any reason the yellow battery power wire can not be connected directly to the positive terminal of the car battery? I already have an unused, relatively new 16 awg wire going thru the fire wall that I'd like to utilize. Yes I know everyone (including the owners manual) looks for a constant powered fuse to tap into, but I'm not interested in taking that approach and instead want to run the Power Plus directly to the car battery. Thanks

Yes you can connect it directly to the battery terminal, but It will need to be fused as close to the battery terminal as possible. An inline fuse holder with a 2Amp fuse will do.

Its the most reliable way of doing it actually and with almost no voltage loss so the readings and cut offs are accurate.

Thank you. The extra wire to the battery would only be about 5 or 6 feet long at most, and 16 awg vs. the 22 awg size attached to the Power-Plus now so I assume the voltage drop would be negligible or none at all. I planned on adding a second 2 Amp inline fuse by the battery for safety even though the yellow Power-Plus wire already has one attached. I realize that's doubling up on fuses, but I sort of want one on the engine side of the fire wall.

Yeap 16AWG is fine and theres nothing wrong with doubling up on fuses. Its just critical that there's a fuse right after the battery terminal.

You can also use twin core cable if you want to run a dedicated ground, not really necessary unless you cant find a reliable ground point.

Use some 1/4" split loom tubing to protect the wire in the engine bay and give it a more professional look. Zip tie it to follow existing looms.

Battery hookup worked great. FWIW, here are some pics from my son's Camry after the job was done for those interested. We simply used a power wire he ran a few years ago thru the fire wall for a bass speaker in the trunk that is no longer used. He even let good ole dad tidy it up with some cable sheathing, an inline fuse and a label for the mechanic who works on the car some day and wonders what all this is :).
1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Back