connecting battery pack and 12v accessory simultaneously?

philosophicaljt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
N2 Pro
I've got a Vanture N2 Pro plugged in my 12v accessory outlet with the supplied charger. May I also plug in my 10000mAh battery pack? Hoping that the camera has internal wiring that wont allow it to have two power supplies supplying it simultaneously, and will just seamlessly switch between them when I power off the car and the accessory outlet loses power. I'm not worried about it "discharging" into my car or anything, my battery pack has circuitry to protect against that. I just don't want to damage the camera.

Please and thank you. Have a wonderful day!

Might be wise to ask Vantrue, then when it explodes you can ask for a replacement!

Probably the answer is yes, and the supply that provides the highest voltage will supply most of the power.

There could be a couple of issues though:
  1. The powerbank may turn off if it thinks it's not being used and then may not turn on it's output when the car power disappears. You can only find out by testing, it may depend on the model of powerbank.
  2. Do not plug your powerbank in to the car power to charge if it is also joint powering the camera, providing car power to both input and output of the powerbank could potentially be dangerous.

Thank you for the reply!
1. The battery pack does not turn off, and works great.
2. Well, I was mistaken, and you are correct. While I can leave my cam plugged in permanently with the supplied charger and simultaneously leave my battery bank plugged into other input on the cam.

The problem came from leaving the battery bank plugged into the car charger while simultaneously outputting to the cam. This caused issues.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the car (dual-USB) charger or the cam cord. I've contacted Vantrue already and I hope they might have an answer.

Thank you for the reply!
1. The battery pack does not turn off, and works great.
2. Well, I was mistaken, and you are correct. While I can leave my cam plugged in permanently with the supplied charger and simultaneously leave my battery bank plugged into other input on the cam.

The problem came from leaving the battery bank plugged into the car charger while simultaneously outputting to the cam. This caused issues.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the car (dual-USB) charger or the cam cord. I've contacted Vantrue already and I hope they might have an answer.
It may the problem will be with the use of a shared zero volts line, which allows power from the charger to return via the battery or vice versa and means that the voltage/current regulation circuit of both charger and battery are unable to measure the current supply correctly. It should only be dangerous in an overload situation where the safety cut-off may not operate, but creating loops in the power supply can cause all sorts of issues.

I don't think there is a good solution to this other than not to charge and discharge the powerbank simultaneously, or if you do then you need to disconnect the charger from the camera. Note that some powerbanks will remove output power when charging anyway.

Back