Connecting Dashcam to Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit

The Grand Pooh-Bah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there Dashcams that can be connected to the front camera input on a head unit so the camera can be viewed through the stereo system? I want the features of a Dashcam that a simple front camera does not offer.

Any camera with an AV out socket will work
And.. a degree in automotive electronics.. unbound determination.. a place to totally remove the insides of your car's dash and, a very forgiving / understanding wife

hehe i think it depend on the car model / make, but in my little Suzuki i can take apart the center console rip out the double DIN headunit, run around the car 3 times and put the head unit back in the console and reassembly everything in 30 minutes, and all it take is a Phillips head screw driver.

But i totally understand such things are more or less alien to some people, my nephew couldn't even change a spark plug on a law mower if his life depended on it.
He can not build a computer himself, or put up lights in his new apartment, for that to happen he need to call upon uncle.

My friend while not affraid to tear into something and do have some DIY skills, installing a dashcam in his new car was like ???? how, so i had to break the ice and just tear that plastic off the A-pillar and show it to him saying " see it just snap in place" nothing to be afraid of.

Okay i have to admit when i first put in my headunit i could not figure out how to take apart the center console, but then i just drove to the dealer and asked them, and one of their guys just did it on the parking lot in 10 seconds, and i was like, " OKAY" it was that simple i just dident think about trying to pry off the plastic trim that reveal all the screws holding things in place in the center console.

Last edited:
There are only a few different ways trim and interior panels attach to cars but doing it wrong can break pieces which have unbelievably high prices at the dealership. If you don't know how to do it, get experienced advice or at least ask on a car forum online ;)

Phil

hehe yeah the plastic trim on my center console do appear to be made of something extra flimsy, so while such things just tear off you still have to use a tactical approach and not use too much force.
The plastic on the A-pillars seem to be of a more forgiving softer type.
If push come to shove you should be able to find a new pice of plastic at a salvage yard, you can also go there to practice on a car like your own.

When i get new dashcam and install it i will also take a little time to document how different things in the car can be overcome, hopefully that video will be to some use for people willing to DIY but just afraid to get going and ruin something.

Every one should know the inside of my little red lightning when i am done.

Ive ordered a new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit and I plan on installing the front and rear camera at the same time as the stereo. That way I only have to tear into the dash once. Should diminish the chances of damaging any parts.

so basically its possible. i would like to see a video review if theres any.

Back