Connecting DR550GW to Windows Phones (WP7/8)

RatMonkey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a Blackvue DR550GW-2ch and was delighted to find out there is no Blackvue app available for Windows Phones! (sarcasm intended! lol).
Anyway, as I despise Apple, and don't own an Android OS device, I wondered if anyone else is in the same predicament as me, where they only have a Windows Phone to use, but no application to use to actually connect to the Blackvue with?!
I can connect the wifi to the cam no problem but have been unable to browse or transfer any files.
I have tried FTP applications, but they do not work, I've even tried Telnet, but it reboots the cam when you connect, and when I keep it connected it was just looping some timeout message and it was also an unstable app and crashed frequently :(

So, has anyone got any other ideas, or managed to overcome the fact there's no WP app? I am a software developer (beginner! ;) ) and the only other thing I can think to do is write my own application to connect (which could be tricky!)
I would appreciate any suggestions or input anyone can give!
Thanks,
Dan (RatMonkey)

Well when I went to buy a new phone even the guy who was selling phones said DONT BUY A WINDOWS PHONE.

So perhaps your prejudice against the others is your problem..

The Android and Apple apps work fine.

I think there is a message here. LOL

Windows phone is a very good OS, it's fast, secure and very stable & I have no prejudice against Android, I just happened to choose a Windows phone and I'm very happy with it :) (admittedly it can be a bit light on Apps lol)

Anyway , this isn't about whether WP is any good, it's about getting it to connect to the blackvue cam!

Thanks for your post tho :D

I agree, the windows OS is a very good OS (but is subject to the apple/Android fanboy attacks! lol) , but I do share the same disappointment in the lack of app.

There is (was) a twitter thread with Blackvue with some chap ranting about the lack of an app, Blackvues response didn't explicitly say "we're not going to do one" but it might as well have done!.

I don't have any alternative, but I used my old ipad to connect up until they created the W8 app, which I think is great!, so right now, my desire for a WP8 app is somewhat reduced.... I know that doesn't help you though ;) :D

yeah, my brother has said that he has an old Android device, with wifi and a SD slot that I can borrow, but that's just yet another device to have to keep charged etc. So not ideal... I'm gonna contact Pittasoft directly if I can, see what they have to say about this, maybe they'll have some source code I can use :p lol

yeah, my brother has said that he has an old Android device, with wifi and a SD slot that I can borrow, but that's just yet another device to have to keep charged etc. So not ideal... I'm gonna contact Pittasoft directly if I can, see what they have to say about this, maybe they'll have some source code I can use :p lol

honestly you'd probably be better off asking over here http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php it's a Russian forum but there's an English section, this is where the guys that do their own firmware for Blackvue cameras congregate, they seem to know more about the camera than Blackvue do

OK, thanks, I'll have a look there too, see if they have any ideas :D... If I can ever fine the English section! lol...

Its not hard to find it has a heading saying Car DVR English forums ROFL

Or click on the union Jack

I agree, the windows OS is a very good OS (but is subject to the apple/Android fanboy attacks! lol) , but I do share the same disappointment in the lack of app.

There is (was) a twitter thread with Blackvue with some chap ranting about the lack of an app, Blackvues response didn't explicitly say "we're not going to do one" but it might as well have done!.

I don't have any alternative, but I used my old ipad to connect up until they created the W8 app, which I think is great!, so right now, my desire for a WP8 app is somewhat reduced.... I know that doesn't help you though ;) :D

No attack or Fanboy from me I was just repeating what a salesman who makes his living from selling phones told me.

I bought my new phone for its reception qualities as I only use it for calls and texts and don't care what else it can or cant do

Very hard to buy a decent phone to do only that these days.

Shame really

Lol, bring back the Nokia 3310!!, and yes, I found the English forum easy enough :) I was having fun reading the Russian pages first! haha...

And as for the salesman that put you off Windows Phone, I imagine it's him that is, more than likely, an Apply boy, or possibly an Android fanatic, thus him not liking Windows.... :/

Actually was in a Telstra shop So there you are Everything available

Motorola Startac would be good

Back