Connecting Mobius to Galaxy Ace 2, Can it be done?

ajw1100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Now Viofo 119S. Was Mobius Action Cam
Another newbie here with first Dashcam. I have the Mobius Action Camera with the latest wide angle lens. I can connect to my PC and have set up the camera using msetup.

I have downloaded and installed the Mobius USB Tools app to my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 version 4.1.2 android phone which is in its original setup.

I have purchased an OTG lead as shown and suggested but no go, also tried a Data lead and again no go.

Has anyone succeeded in connecting said phone (Or any similar Samsung?) I have read the phone manual but cannot see if it supports 'mass storage' or not.

If it cannot connect directly is there a way of seeing the video footage directly from the Micro SD card?

Just spotted that the phone does not support files saved as MOV so I need to change this in mSetup to something that is supported! Would MP4 be a good choice or something else? Will the phones Video Player play a Mobius video from the Micro SD card?

A lead connection would be much more preferable if its possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I just bought an OTG card reader for my Galaxy tab 2 so I can view the micro SD card when I take it out of the mobius from in the car. It recongnised a memory card was inserted without any settings changed, but I had to use a file explorer to view the card. Android wont play MOV files as standard, so put VLC player on it for the mov files.

It didnt work on my goto G 3rd gen and seems to be a bit hit and miss to what does work. I read somewhere that it is important to have the latest android operating system, so yours may be too old.

I must also mention I bought an OTG cable for other purposes and it didnt work a year ago, it didnt work on anything android or PC for that matter, but those are the joys of an ebay purchase.

Last edited:
My Nexus 5 running Marshmallow 6.0.1 plays without problem with micro sd card reader.

Thanks for the replies, something to think about. I have a USB SD card reader so will try that with the card, the OTG lead and the phone first, fate sometimes deals a lucky hand. Sometimes but not very often! Hate having to update phones as they are usually set to self destruct.

Oh Well, no lucky hand this time. Connected up and nothing.
Downloaded VLC to my phone, and copied - via the PC - one MOV file to the phone and copied one MOV file converted to a WMA file. The WMA file played fine with the phones built in Video Player but not the MOV file. The MOV video did not play well on VLC, seemed to get stuck on one frame although the play indicator ran its full length, the frame at the start was the same when it finished.
Not sure what the cause was/is.

It would seem that WMA will play okay but is not a file the camera records to, sods law seems to be alive and well.
It would seem that MOV will not play okay but is the file the camera records to, sods law strikes again.

I do not want to carry a laptop around on the off-chance I may need to view footage.

My phone is a few years old so could probably be replaced, I am not on contract and use Pay & Go due to very little use. However a new phone is not cheap!

Any suggestions as to any way to get phone to connect to camera or a Samsung phone that will connect out of box? I see there are quite a few file manager apps but until the phone can see the camera that won't help.

Anyone with a Samsung Galaxy that does connect?

Last edited:
Oh Well, no lucky hand this time.
Some OTG cables are better than others ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2211354&page=14#post34033357

I'm not a fan of the VLC Android App. I recommend MX Player ... liked it so much I actually parted with cash to upgrade to the Pro version. Give the free version a go. Plays .MOV files smoothly.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, which has an external card slot, so nice & easy to pop the card in.

Another alternative is to buy a cheap Android tablet. I bought a reconditioned (indistinguishable from brand new) Lenovo A7 7" tablet for £45 from Argos eBay outlet. Only downside is that it has a 32GB card limit so, to view files from a larger card, the card has to be formatted in FAT32.

Last edited:
Thanks Russ, I will buy a better lead but feel it is the phone that is the problem. My Ace also has an external Micro SD slot, I put the Modius card in and this was reported as not formatted and did I want to format? Err, no thanks...

I will check out the MX Player and see if it improves the video cannot be worse than freezing on one frame.

I will also check out cheap tablets, that may be another option so thanks for that suggestion.

The OTG lead I bought was this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151196739927
I would have thought that with nearly 12,000 sold that it should be okay, perhaps not!

Back