Connecting to a Power Bank

DJFearRoss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really know much about cars or electronics, so a little help would be really appreciated.

I own a new Citroen Grand Picasso and purchased this dashcam. I bought it as it was described on AliExpress as having a motion detector but now doubt this. The main reason for buying this was for when the car is parked, so I bought a powerbank but now i'm confused how to use it whilst the car is parked. What is the best way?

The cigarette lighter adaptor that comes with it works fine for when the car is running. This bit I understand. But when the car is parked and I need to use the powerbank, how would this work? Would i need to buy two cables and remove each one to switch between the car power and the powerbank?

Get a long enough Mini USB cable and use it with the power bank.

If you don't want to keep switching cables, get a 12V to 5V USB car charger and use that to power the camera while driving.

Thanks Harsh, that's what I assumed. I have a USB socket in my car already so will I be good to go with that?
And the cable is a mini or 'micro' USB? There are so many types on Amazon i've got a bit confused. If this cable is exposed to high temps (i live in Spain) will it be ok?

Last edited:
Usually the USB sockets from cars are not powerful enough. The connector is Micro USB but for long cables the quality must be very good. Poor USB source + poor cable will result in camera problems.

enjoy,
Mtz

I use my B1W with my own micro USB cable and a 12v to USB adapter. I don't use the cable supplied with the camera.

When I park the car, I unplug the cable from the adapter and plug it into a powerbank. For the longest recording times using the powerbank I suggest that you turn off WiFi on the B1W.

Hi Tony, that's the only half practical solution that I can think of as well.
What cable did you use? I live in a hot country and worried about temps. What recording times are you looking at (out of interest)?
Any tips for me? Seeing as you've done it already, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

This USB charger supplied with the camera cannot be plugged into power bank, so you should get an extra USB cable to connect dashcam with power bank.One end to power bank Output should be Type A USB, and the other end to dashcam should be Micro USB.

Last edited:
Usually the USB sockets from cars are not powerful enough. The connector is Micro USB but for long cables the quality must be very good. Poor USB source + poor cable will result in camera problems.

enjoy,
Mtz

Where did you find a 3.5m micro-mini usb cable? I checked amazon and the only 3.5m cables I can find are the standard ones that plug into the cigarette lighter.

Where did you find a 3.5m micro-mini usb cable? I checked amazon and the only 3.5m cables I can find are the standard ones that plug into the cigarette lighter.
Anyway, you can PM me for help!

I don't really know much about cars or electronics, so a little help would be really appreciated.

I own a new Citroen Grand Picasso and purchased this dashcam. I bought it as it was described on AliExpress as having a motion detector but now doubt this. The main reason for buying this was for when the car is parked, so I bought a powerbank but now i'm confused how to use it whilst the car is parked. What is the best way?

The cigarette lighter adaptor that comes with it works fine for when the car is running. This bit I understand. But when the car is parked and I need to use the powerbank, how would this work? Would i need to buy two cables and remove each one to switch between the car power and the powerbank?

I installed a Cellink Battery B in my car, this way I can leave the B1W on constant record while parked. Excellent bit of kit and far better than using a normal power bank.

Back