connecting to a smartphone

Michael_K

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware FA200 dual, D1-era dual camera (side view)
So, I'd like to get a car camera that can connect to my smartphone (using WIFI). This would be my first experience with using wifi like this, and I'd like to know the details.
First: do carcams have their own app, or do I use a browser, or ?
Second: I read that BlackVue is different from most other units in how its wifi works. Is that true? How do other units connect? Is one way better (e.g. easier) than the other?
Third: Is there any manufacturer that uses wifi to detect my LAN, and totally shuts off the camera? (For those of us that park in a garage, or somewhere safe.)

yes they usually have their own app, that can be more or less functioning / useful as far as i have picked up over the years.
If you are using parking guard i think you only have a few choices. you can use a low voltage cut off- you can use a timer cut off, or manually turn on off that feature, which of sort of negate the prime rule of dashcams being as little user interface as possible at least for general operation.
wifi can be used for sharing a file now and then, bulk data moving are not really a option if you have any form of time constraint, and #2 i personally don't know why you would share anything like ( snap finger )
I would not share anything on site with anyone, i would keep silent about my cameras for as long as i can,,, possible forever if the other part assume blame like it also was in some example event.
As for sharing some idiot or cool thing on youtube, sure it can probably be done, but i would just wait until i get home.
I personally don't feel the "smart" features are there yet for the people that would want to use those, personally i would never go down that route as i would focus on the best possible camera in relation to image quality and camera long term durability, something the "smart" cameras seem to be skimping a little on ( at least image quality that seem to suffer at the expense of smart features )

Top Smart cameras seem to be Blackvue and thinkware, so have a rummage around their sub forums in here.
O and welcome to the forum.

Back