Connection in hybrid car

Dam

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello everyone and thank you for adding to the forum. My name is Dam, and I am on the beautiful island of Reunion.

I will soon own a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. I intend to install my Viofo A129 pro duo 4K there, and, of course, use the parking mode when the car is not moving. I have heard that the batteries in this kind of hybrid car are very small. So I need your help: 1 - can you confirm that these batteries are really small in capacity? 2 - if I decide to install an external battery, Cellink type or other, so as not to damage the car battery, will the camera automatically switch to parking mode as happens with a conventional connection? 3 - finally, if the camera cannot switch to parking mode automatically, can you explain to me (if you have photos, or a diagram, I am a buyer! ☺️) how to connect the camera + the external battery type Cellink + the HK3 Viofo kit? that is a lot to ask of you, but i don't want to make a mistake with this car. THANKS A LOT.

I have a RAV4 Hybrid 2020 and installed the Thinkware U1000 hardwired. It worked great for 1 year and even saved me a waste of 700 dollars because it captured a hit and run which I used as evidence in the police station. The parking mode worked great for 1 year, lasted 8-10 hours but after 1 year, my battery is messed up (the AUX battery not the hybrid battery). Parking mode lasts roughly 10 minutes at best and voltage of battery at idle is less than 12V. Lucky the RAV4 uses the Hybrid battery to start the engine so you won't really run into flat battery issues but it messes up the battery. So I say go for an external battery. Im doing a DIY right now and that's my next project.

And yes, 1) Hybrid battery of RAV4 is only 6000mah I think (a Samsung S21 Ultra is 5000mah) but these have 245V output so the are capable to start. Not good for dashcam mounting.
2) Yes. Lookup installation tutorials of cellink neo for example. It's basically hardwiring but you just hard-wire it to the external battery rather than your car battery and it never takes any power from the car battery. The neo can be hard-wired to charge itself but this will only happen when the engine/alternator is running.
3) I haven't done this so someone else can reply for this, as I won't have the best answer. But I have seen tutorials on blackboxmycar for Viofo HK3, just google and you can see a video demo.

Thank you so much.
But, do you have a link about these tutorials ? Because I don't find it on Google...
Thanks

Check this out.
Instead of the blackvue/thinkware connections, you'll just use the spliced 3 set cable. Simple. It has a video too.

Ah d'accord merci.
Donc si j'ai bien compris les 2 fils qui sont "nu" correspondent à la masse (noir) et à l'ACC ?

Back