Consensus on basic settings? (bitrate, loop recording, wdr, exposure, g-sensor, etc)

BombayDuo

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are everyone's settings for the A129 Duo?
Also, what is your reasoning for each choice?

Bitrate: high or low ?
Loop Recording: Off, 1 Min, 2 Min, 3 Min, 5 Min, 10 Min ?
WDR: On or off ?
Parking Mode: AutoDetection, Time Lapse 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps, 10fps, Low Bitrate ?
Time Lapse Recording: off, 100ms, 200ms etc ?
Motion Detection: off or on ?
G-Sensor: Low, mid, high ?
Boot Delay: off, 5 sec, 10 sec ?
Frequency: 50 or 60 hz ?

Here is what I would use myself

Bitrate: high
Loop Recording: 1 Min
WDR: On
Parking Mode: Low Bitrate
Time Lapse Recording: off
Motion Detection: off
G-Sensor: Low
Boot Delay: off
Frequency: 60 hz

Thank you. I am new to DC's, and many of these settings are foreign to me, so if I may ask:
  • why would you use a 1 min loop vs 2, 3, etc?
  • why low bitrate on parking mode vs something like 3fps ?

Thank you. I am new to DC's, and many of these settings are foreign to me, so if I may ask:
  • why would you use a 1 min loop vs 2, 3, etc?
  • why low bitrate on parking mode vs something like 3fps ?

1min files are easier to deal with (smaller) personal preference.

Low Bit rate will still be 30fps with audio
No audio anything less than 30fps

I’ve only just got my A129 so not yet decided what most of the settings I’ll be using with it,

but on previous DVR’s my preferences if selection was available were

bitrate, high,
all things being equal, should equal more data

loop recording, 1 minute
easer to handle, but more importantly, if you have/get a corrupt file or the last file hasn’t saved before shutdown, you’ve only lost 1 minute of recording

WDR, test the DVR to see if this feature is adds anything to the image, mostly set to on in the past but test it with the A129 to see if you think it helps in difficult lighting

parking mode, never used it in the past
I plan to with the A129, but will see which setting to use once I’ve tested a few setting, my present thinking is either go with the 5fps or low bit rate, both settings won’t be filling up your card with nothing of interest, advantage of low bitrate is you still have audio

not sure what boot delay is

frequency, either
my understanding is, it’s more to do with NTSC 60Hz and PAL 50Hz but now with digital TV not an issue

only my opinions so, do some tests with your A129 and see which you’re more happy with, and when you find what settings you’re pleased with do post up your choices and why

Boot delay is to wait longer until noisy power caused by some Diesel engine startups smooths out before the Dashcam boots up.

60hz matches the North America power grid to avoid flicker from incandescent lights etc.

loop recording, 1 minute
easer to handle, but more importantly, if you have/get a corrupt file or the last file hasn’t saved before shutdown, you’ve only lost 1 minute of recording

WDR, test the DVR to see if this feature is adds anything to the image, mostly set to on in the past but test it with the A129 to see if you think it helps in difficult lighting
With 1 minute loop recording you need to be fairly quick with the lock button, on the other hand with 10 minute loop recording the memory card very quickly fills up with locked files. I think 3 minutes is a better compromise.

WDR is best turned off on the A129, it just doesn't work very well on the processor used and can damage the image more than it improves it. With some other cameras it is best turned on.

Thanks for the info. So to make sure I understand how the "lock" works...
If I am 40 seconds into recording a 1 minute video and hit the lock button, does it save the full 60 seconds or only the 20 seconds remaining?
When using the lock button, does it only lock the current file or does it lock the consecutive files under I hit the lock button again (to unlock)?

"With 1 minute loop recording you need to be fairly quick with the lock button, on the other hand with 10 minute loop recording the memory card very quickly fills up with locked files. I think 3 minutes is a better compromise. "

Thanks for the info. So to make sure I understand how the "lock" works...
If I am 40 seconds into recording a 1 minute video and hit the lock button, does it save the full 60 seconds or only the 20 seconds remaining?
When using the lock button, does it only lock the current file or does it lock the consecutive files under I hit the lock button again (to unlock)?

"With 1 minute loop recording you need to be fairly quick with the lock button, on the other hand with 10 minute loop recording the memory card very quickly fills up with locked files. I think 3 minutes is a better compromise. "

The 60hz power grid sync helps with several things, I know it doesn't help with LED flicker though.

Incandescent lights do not flicker. Only fluorescent do

not referring to the lights themselves flickering, set the refresh rate to 50Hz and you'll get flicker or rolling effect in the video from 60Hz mains power incandescent or fluorescent lighting, LED lights can still have some flicker regardless

Incandescent lights do not flicker. Only fluorescent do
Yes they do, not noticeable to the eye but definitely noticeable to a camera sensor.

I'd recommend a boot delay of 5 seconds for better startup reliability, unless you find that's too long and you want the camera to start recording asap.

Bitrate: high
Loop Recording: 2 Min
WDR: Off
Time Lapse Recording: Off
Motion Detection: Off
G-Sensor: Low
Boot Delay: 5 sec
Frequency: 50hz

Boot delay is to wait longer until noisy power caused by some Diesel engine startups smooths out before the Dashcam boots up.

60hz matches the North America power grid to avoid flicker from incandescent lights etc.

Is noisy power only for Diesel engines? If I have a gas engine car, can I turn boot delay off? Or set it to at least 5 secs?

Also, I'm reading that motion detection is only use for parking mode. If you enable motion detection and enable one of the parking modes, which takes precedence and what happens for each parking mode while motion detection is on?

And where is time lapse recording becomes useful that you need to turn it on?

I’m not aware of anyone needing boot delay for non diesel engines. I’m sure it’s technically possible for someone. You only need it if you have trouble with the camera turning on every time then you would enable some

I don’t see a good reason to use motion detection or time lapse during normal 2-wire cig power while driving.

Get the special A129 3-wire hard wire kit if you want to utilize parking mode settings.

Bitrate always high, and i am wishing for a ultra high setting,,,, which i would then use.

I have to use boot delay on one of 2 SG and 1 GT camera on my windscreen, really funny never had a need for that before with any camera, but that SG camera need it most of the time. ( gasoline car )

Some cameras will force a boot delay as the default it’s good to have the option.

Back