Considering a new dashcam

Wolfie

Reaction score
Country
United States
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-to-this-site-been-looking-at-dashcams.19445/

Still happy with the DAB205 that I got from @CaptureYourAction, but thinking about either getting a new dual camera system, or a second cam to use.

There is the possibility that I will try doing the Uber/Lyft thing, and if I do, I'll want a cam that I can face towards the backseat as a form of protection, not only against false claims, but in case I need proof of anything having happened. So either a new cam to face the back, or the DAB205 reallocated (turned around) to facing the back, or a new dual-cam system that can handle both front and back at the same time. I know that most (or all?) dual cam units are actually two separate pieces, my hope is that there is one that is designed to be used inside the car (either instead of outside only).

The vehicle I have is a 2004 GMC Envoy XL, and the 'cigarette' outlets are always on/hot/whatever. Because of this, I'm also investigating ways to either add a switch to one or more of the outlets, or something (like on Amazon) that would plug into an outlet and have a power button attached. Any ideas on this matter would also be appreciated. I've found some on Amazon, where they are either a single unit, or a piece that plugs in with a cable going to the main unit, most have USB chargers as part of unit, which isn't a bad thing. Overall goal here is to somewhat modernize the vehicle without cluttering it up too much with cables and things to plug in.

Another issue to mention, in case someone knows of a remedy, especially in conjunction with the aforementioned outlets, the current adapter I use for the DAB205 (which came with the camera) has trouble making a connection in the outlets, which I blame on the outlets instead of the plug (I believe if the outlets were newer, there wouldn't be an issue). On the flip side, little adapters to generate powered USB powers seem work just fine, except when the dashcam is running and I turn on the vehicle, then it seems to cause issues with the cam, so not sure if the current adapter has some sort of surge/power loss protection, or if the little adapters are just crap quality that are causing the issue. If anyone else has the DAB205 but is using an alternative power (ie, USB ports and not the included car adapter), please let me know.

Of course, I'm thankful for any help that can be given. I'm hoping that CYA will have some information for me in regards to the cams, but I welcome feedback from others, especially those who may be doing the Uber/Lyft thing with what cams to consider (or to avoid).

Also, a big TY to DCT. It led me to a great purchase, and is the only place that comes to mind when I want to look into dashcams. :)

The two main contenders for "Taxi" cams are the Transcend DrivePro 520 and the Vantrue OnDash N2 Pro. They both have IR illumination for the interior cam at night with both cams in one housing. I was given an N2 Pro for review and found it to be very good overall, excellent with the interior cam day and night, with the front cam good enough. Audio was also good or better. I didn't get to test it in the worst of our summer heat so I don't know how well the battery will hold up then. I have no experience with the Transcend. Both are in the $200 price range but with them having the critical interior IR function that may not be excessive. The main problem with these are that they are not discrete with the N2 Pro being much better at that. This may be an advantage though as your riders will know they are on video and hopefully behave better knowing that.

The cheaper ciggie outlet adapters are generally near-junk grade, and not recommended for dashcam use. Anker and Scosche are the brands I recommend. My $34 2-port 2.4A Anker hasn't missed a beat in 5 years of use in a workvan and I honestly expect it to last at least that much more, maybe forever as it's always plugged in thus getting no physical wear and tear. Mine does not 'drop out' when starting my van- both the cams remain running- but it's got a pretty big battery so has less voltage drop when starting. Factory in-car USB ports tend to be underpowered and only a few car models have been found to work reliably with dashcams so it's best to not count on using them. A good hardwire kit may also be something to consider- again avoid the cheap ones here especially as some of them can lose regulation and send 12V to your cam, destroying it.

If you have patience and time, Street Guardian has plans to develop a remote-mounted IR cam for it's dual-channel and dual-remote models. No timeframe has been given on this but I'd expect that that combination would far outperform the two cams I mentioned above overall. I wouldn't expect it in less than a year as they're busy with other things. AFAIK there aren't any other options for interior IR cams unless you alter an existing cam by removing the IR filter on the lens and add some IR illumination. This approach would be much cheaper but working on the insides of your cam is not for everybody though it is do-able. The old Mobius has been tried this way to good effect at the shorter ranges you'd have inside any car or van but I'm not aware of any other cams being tested this way. There are some DIY night-vision sites with more info on this but those most often use cellphone cams, not dash or action cams.

You might also choose a regular dashcam with a good night-time sensor such as the IMX291 (best) or the IMX 323 (still good). These might be enough in a bright city but will do nothing in full darkness. If you're not going to have riders at night or outside of bright cities the many cans using these sensors might do the job. Some of these are quite affordable and of those I like the B1W though it still has audio issues. Best interior images might need a slight lens refocusing, but that's not too hard to do with most cams and they might be good enough as-is. Several 2-channel cams are using the IMX323 for the rear cam sensor so there's that option open as well. The advantage here is you'll have a dual-channel or rear cam which is more suited for normal use if the ride-share job doesn't work out.

I know this is a lot to think about, but if you make a list of which features are most important to you in descending order, you can narrow down your cam choices to a handful quickly, then study those few choices more deeply to find the one(s) which should suit you best by reading the forums for those cam models here on DCT. Pay extra attention to reported problems, resolution for them, and of after-sales service and assistance. Cheaper prices can be had buying from Chinese mega-stores, but shipping can be slow and customer support non-existent with them, so it's usually better to pay a little more and use a more local seller who has a reputation for geed customer service. Not much is more frustrating than finding your new product has problems and you get stuck with a loss because the seller isn't going to help you. I too came to DCT when I first considered a dashcam and it positively saved me from making mistakes in buying which would have probably soured me on the whole experience. Definitely the best place for dashcams here.

Phil

Last edited:
Yeah, the Transcend Drive Pro 520 seems to be one of the most popular dash camera for Uber/Lyft drivers. Note that Transcend has replaced the 520 with the 550. The 520 can still be purchased however. I don’t recall what the differences between the two are though. One is that the 550 has a parking mode where I don’t think the 520 supports it.
If you want to use your 12V cigarette port for power and they are always live, check out the Rhundo RS-20S, which has switches for each power port as well as a main on/off switch. The nice thing about the Rhundo is it has timer options and voltage cut off settings. You can have the camera run for a couple of hours after you shut your car off, at which point the Rhundo will automatically shut it off.
The DAB205 can be run off a 12V adapter that supplies USB ports, just make sure they put out at least 1A. The Rhundo RS-20S has 2 USB ports which would work well. If you go this route, be sure to use a quality USB cable, as the cheaper ones will have thin gauge wires and cause power issues for the camera.

The cheaper ciggie outlet adapters are generally near-junk grade, and not recommended for dashcam use. Anker and Scosche are the brands I recommend. My $34 2-port 2.4A Anker hasn't missed a beat in 5 years of use in a workvan and I honestly expect it to last at least that much more, maybe forever as it's always plugged in thus getting no physical wear and tear. Mine does not 'drop out' when starting my van- both the cams remain running- but it's got a pretty big battery so has less voltage drop when starting. Factory in-car USB ports tend to be underpowered and only a few car models have been found to work reliably with dashcams so it's best to not count on using them. A good hardwire kit may also be something to consider- again avoid the cheap ones here especially as some of them can lose regulation and send 12V to your cam, destroying it.
The 2004 Envoy doesn't have factory installed USB ports, however that is good information to know for future reference.

I know this is a lot to think about
Perhaps, but it's all very helpful information.

The two main contenders for "Taxi" cams are the Transcend DrivePro 520 and the Vantrue OnDash N2 Pro.
Yeah, the Transcend Drive Pro 520 seems to be one of the most popular dash camera for Uber/Lyft drivers. Note that Transcend has replaced the 520 with the 550. The 520 can still be purchased however. I don’t recall what the differences between the two are though. One is that the 550 has a parking mode where I don’t think the 520 supports it.
Can the view of the inner-facing DP550 camera be adjusted/angled independently, or is it a straight shot for both sides based on how I adjust the unit as a whole? I hadn't thought about the lighting issue, so that's definitely a good point to consider, which has me glad that I asked.

@CYA any chance that you sell the DP550?

For the USB thing, I took a look last night and as I suspected, the inside walls of the cigarette outlets have rust on them, which would explain the unreliable connections. Already considering replacing the one on the back of the middle console with a dual QC3 USB outlet, so that passengers in the back can plug up phones to charge during the ride (as a courtesy if I do the rideshare thing, or just for friends/family who happen to be sitting back there). Once I figure out how to safely pop those buggers out, I'll consider replacing them (back as I said, front with fresh, unrusted outlets, maybe one with USB ports giving at least 2.4a each).

Edit:
Came across this cam, wondering if anyone here has personal experience with it (or the brand).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0788P7KJQ
(Important Con: no GPS)

Not saying I'm looking to buy that one, just came across it, and hoping to learn what to look for (or avoid) with that as an example. Like I did when I got my first 'real' dashcam (ty CYA for the good product and customer service!), I'm doing research for now. Learn what I can so when I go to make a purchase, I'll be informed. One thing I believe that I like about it is the rear part being separate, which means I could potentially find a way to aim it from the ceiling of the car (aiming down) for a better view of what is behind me. Also saw one that is an Android system, which seems nice at first, but I can already foresee problems with it. One of the pros of it is the rear cam is wireless, though that can also be a con (interference and how to power it).

(I can just imagine CYA now, doing a facepalm like, "Oh no, this could drag on for months..." lol)

Edit 2:
Also would like this to be used as an example. Pros and cons of this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DBBCYC6

(And I like how Amazon links are parsed to get down to the item without all the extra junk!)

Last edited:
Stay clear of the one you linked. Also, the rear camera is not wireless, there is a cable connecting it to the front.
The rear facing camera on the 550/520 can adjust left and right. CYA does not carry the 550 or 520.

Stay clear of the one you linked. Also, the rear camera is not wireless, there is a cable connecting it to the front.
The rear facing camera on the 550/520 can adjust left and right. CYA does not carry the 550 or 520.
Are you talking about the first link or the second (or both)?

The one that I referred to as wireless is an Android one, not the one I linked. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DR46NT5)

So I guess you're saying that if I do end up doing all this, it'll likely not be through you? :(

Sorry, thought you were referring to the linked one. Do you have a link to the Android based camera?
I don’t currently sell any dash cameras that would good for Uber/Lyft drivers looking to record inside the car.

Sorry, thought you were referring to the linked one. Do you have a link to the Android based camera?
I don’t currently sell any dash cameras that would good for Uber/Lyft drivers looking to record inside the car.
The post just above yours has a link to it.

Here are the links I've posted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DR46NT5 Android (lack of place-ability)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0788P7KJQ Effort Dual Cam (no GPS)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DBBCYC6 Lifechaser Dual Cam (4K single or 1080p+480p dual)

The Lifechaser has another option that is the same but with 1080p+1080p dual.

The Android one is no better spec than the others you linked to
The Android one seems like a nice concept, however I already ruled it out due to concerns like ability to mount the camera higher up but still be able to access the screen. To me, it seems like a win/lose or a lose/win situation, so it's out.

I just discovered what may be your best choice. The Viofo A129 Duo has (or soon will have) an IR remote cam option. Much cheaper than the taxi cams and while it still has a few bugs, Viofo does well in working things out. Better front cam video too.

As to the interior cam on the Taxi models I mentioned, the N2 Pro is adjustable vertically only which is fine because the body of the cam will always be centered horizontally. Not sure about the Drive Pro 520/550. Either should easily cover back seat passengers fully.

Phil

The post just above yours has a link to it.

Here are the links I've posted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DR46NT5 Android (lack of place-ability)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0788P7KJQ Effort Dual Cam (no GPS)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07DBBCYC6 Lifechaser Dual Cam (4K single or 1080p+480p dual)

The Lifechaser has another option that is the same but with 1080p+1080p dual.

The Android one seems like a nice concept, however I already ruled it out due to concerns like ability to mount the camera higher up but still be able to access the screen. To me, it seems like a win/lose or a lose/win situation, so it's out.
Can't recommend or comment on any of them as I've never heard of any of them before. They all appear to be rebranded generic cameras.

I do sell the Viofo A129 DUO, but the cabin camera (with IR lights) is not available yet. When available, I'm sure I will carry that as well.

Can't recommend or comment on any of them as I've never heard of any of them before. They all appear to be rebranded generic cameras.

I do sell the Viofo A129 DUO, but the cabin camera (with IR lights) is not available yet. When available, I'm sure I will carry that as well.

When will the version with cabin camera be released?

When will the version with cabin camera be released?
Still being tested at the moment, so still a case of it arriving when it's ready, but it will be good when it arrives :)

If I want to have the option of using the parking mode ONLY while my car is under a shade, can I do that wit the hardware kit of either A129 or SG9663DC? Is it the same with the ACC wire kit? And do I need that kit to be able connect everything to the fuse box and not the cig lighter? Sorry, I'm very noob to this.

And what's a good SD card to use with these cams?

If you want to use the new parking mode in the A129, then you will need the new 3-wire Viofo hardwire kit. You will need to tap into the fuse box for an accessory fuse connection and a battery (always live) fuse connection. To use the parking mode only while parked in the shade, then you will need to turn the parking mode on and off manually.

If you want to use the new parking mode in the A129, then you will need the new 3-wire Viofo hardwire kit. You will need to tap into the fuse box for an accessory fuse connection and a battery (always live) fuse connection. To use the parking mode only while parked in the shade, then you will need to turn the parking mode on and off manually.
How will I set the whole thing up so that I csn turn it on and off manually?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You can power the cam on and off by button press on the cam, and otherwise have parking mode turned on in the cam's menu settings.

Phil

Back