Considering an SGZC12RC. If you have one, are you happy with it?

knapp7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Debating between using a single 2 CH camera or two 1 CH cameras in the same car. Looking at the SGZC12RC for rear window placement paired with the GC on the front window. For those of you who own the RC, are you pleased with the video quality and camera reliability? Thanks.

I use a GC in front and RC in back. (2015 Ford Explorer Sport) Great video quality and redundency backup since they are independent.

I'll let others comment on the reliability/quality side of things but the only real issue we've had with the RC model is if you want to use large cards (bigger than 32GB) you should format the cards FAT32 for best results, we don't have a large card FAT32 formatting routine built in like we do on the GC model which means having to format large cards in a PC, not as convenient as having it built in like we do on the GC

Wow, thanks for some quick responses. For me too this would just be a redundant back up, so a 32GB card is plenty. Also debating 2 GC's instead, but really prefer the stealthy look of the RC on the back window. I'm probably over thinking the whole thing. Still my basic concern is decent video quality and product reliability.

with 32gb cards the in camera formatting is fine on the RC, it's only the larger cards that require the extra mucking about

... if you want to use large cards (bigger than 32GB) you should format the cards FAT32 for best results, we don't have a large card FAT32 formatting routine built in ...
I've used a 64GB Lexar in my SGZC12RC since July 2015, & format it once a month or so, always within the camera. No problems.

Had mine since November 2015 and it's been flawless (please don't let that be the kiss of death :) )
I also have the lexar 64gb card and reformat in the unit every other month..

It's a nice stealthy unit, just plan where you want it and take your time with the fitting.

I'm fed up with waiting for the dual channel & dual channel remote cam.
Is the RC available with a CPL filter as standard or optional?

Ok, I'll investigate buying 2x RC's as rear dash cams to complement my two front GC's.

Also, do the RC's have internal or external GPS?

Nevermind, it's still possible for me to buy 2x SGZC12RC's as rear cams, because I think the front dash cam GPS should be sufficient evidence in an accident.

I don't think you can have a thread asking owners of a Brand to give honest feedback of an item when that particular Brands Forum reps are all over the thread.

I believe .. say, at least 6 degrees of separation is the order of the day .. in this instance.
Too late .. no doubt.

Having said that .. I am interested in a SGZC12RC for the rear window as well.

If you can live with the form-factor and can wait a bit, the SG9663DC might be a better option. Pros: Should be a better design and overcome any previous problems, should be better vid quality, and should end up with better large card support than the RC. Cons: It's a new cam and other than the vid quality none of this has yet been solidly proven.

You can see what people have experienced with the SGZC12RC in it's forum here on DCT; it is not without some issues though you can say that about most dashcams. I decided to wait on the new cam, you decide for yourself ;) The SG team is one of the best and IMHO either will be a good choice. Here it is just comparing the known to the unknown with what I believe are better possibilities for the latter :) If you want a proven winner there's none better than the SG9665GC but it's not a 2ch cam.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Do your research well and you'll make better choices :cool:
Phil

Cheers SM

I've just paid almost $400 for my first front Cam .. so purchasing a new Duel system is out of the question.
The launch of the new Dual came only a few days after taking the leap. I'm happy with my purchase though .. so no regrets at all.

The rear Cam is a little down the track .. although I may go the hardwire setup .. requiring an Auto- Electrician .. so I'm considering the rear window Cam now .. to perhaps get the wiring for that done .. so when I get the Cam down the track .. it's all ready to just plug in.

Cheers SM

I've just paid almost $400 for my first front Cam .. so purchasing a new Duel system is out of the question.
what you get? the top of the range SG9665GC V3 with 128GB card??

Nah .. VicoVation - MF3 + CPL + Transcend 64GB U3 card

I like really like my SGZC12RC.

Below is a recent near miss, poor dog has to be carried by this idiot whom does not look when crossing.

Last edited:
Back