Considering purchasing a Garmin 55, Need Help.

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I have just got a new car I'm currently considering changing to a different brand of dashcam, mainly the Garmin 55. so I have a few of questions I hope can be answered here.
I have no interest in enabling lane keeping, traffic light alert etc as my new car has these anyway. I just want a decent clear image from the camera and reliable that its not going to stop recording at a crucial moment.

I live in Scotland so not usually what I'd call a hot country
1: Has the heat issue from the camera been resolved or is it possible to catch fire/melt? (I think that would affect my warranty on the car:unsure:;))

2: Is it really worth getting Parking Mode Pack, has the storage of filling the card up with unneccesary file altered any with new firmware updates? Sometimes my car can be parked in my driveway for a week without being used.

3: Does the Garmin mini suction mount https://tinyurl.com/yxpfh9my hold the camera steady enough without jittery video?

4: Does anyone have a link to where I might view some uncompressed video clips from the Garmin 55? I know there are many on Youtube but these are normally compressed by Youtube so not a accurate picture.

5: Does hardwire kit come with new Garmin 55 or does that cost extra? Will probably get cam from Halfords, have them fit it too.

My current dashcam I removed from my old car is a Nextbase 512GW, not exactly great but I might use for rear view cam.

First, you should consider DC56. DC55 is at the end of life.

1. Never had any issues with heat in either 55 or 56...
2. It will depend on where you park. Some environments can trigger unnecessary motion recording. Parking mode can be turned off with a push of a button so any time I feel I park at a safe location I turn it off.
3. Yes, it does. I use it frequently for rental cars.
4. https://mega.nz/#F!IxJiFC4L!VPK0qOARqmhI_cc0FD9jEQ (DC56, Not very representative, though better quality than DC55 because of higher bitrate. Also, this clip was recorded with Garmins CPL)
5. It is extra ($35 in US)

Last edited:
It is noted that the Garmin's come with a power plug cord. The parking mode power cord is what cost extra.
One of the main features of the Garmin's is the parking mode. It can be turned off if not needed. The voltage threshold in the parking power cable is adjustable in the event you may be worried about running the car battery down after a week parked.

Thanks guys, is it easy enough to change the voltage threshold? I'd probably want it set to 12.something, I'll most likely be gritting the Halfords guy to fit the cam.

Remove the cover on the parking mode power cable box (4 screws). With needle nose pliers move the jumper to whatever voltage you want to set the threshold to. They are clearly labeled. Reinstall the cover.

Looks straight forward enough, thanks Gary.

Back