Considering Thinkware F800- Why did you choose this camera?

Resapex

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've narrowed my search down to the Thinkware F800, Blacksys CH-200, and BlackVue DR750S.

All are dual cams with parking mode. I will be hardwiring and I not be using cloud features.

While I value all feedback for what sold you on this camera over others in the field, I am mostly hoping to get feedback from those who might have considered the other two cameras that I am also considering.

Because Thinkware records full 60 seconds per sequence equally front and rear videos. Blackvue records 60 sec front but 59 sec rear leaving rear videos with 1 second black gap. Blackvue knows about it and says that’s just the way it is.

Now, their Cloud service (Thinkware) is worthless and audio on all recordings is terribly distorted (over amplified).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The power consumption in parking mode is very low if you comparing it to other brands.
After 12 hours of recording in time lapse mode (Dual Cams) my car battery was at 12.3V which is very good.

Last edited:
That Blackvue was a finalist for me. I went with the F800 Pro for the better parking mode. It works as advertised and over all I'm satisfied with my choice. I park in a high traffic lot and use motion detection. I also use a Cellink Neo to power the cameras in parking mode.

F800 has better parking mode and better quality front and rear camera. It was the only camera that has front & back 1080 resolution and Sony Starvus sensor at time of purchase (Sep 2017).

If I want cloud recording I would have went to Blackvue.

Blacksys was never on my radar at that time and I have no experience with it. It might have been a worthy competitor.

Good parking record duration, uses capacitor not battery, good night vision, decent IQ, built in gps to auto set date/time, "cloud".
Lastly, built in voltage cut, had issues with power magic pro so no Blackvue.

I have the F770, the predecessor to the F800. Couldn't see much difference between the two to justify the upgrade to the F800 when it came out, but I can tell you that I love the time-lapse parking mode feature on the F770 nevertheless. It was the prime reason for my purchase of it when it came out 2 years ago, since no other dash cam seemed to offer such a feature at that time. It has also proven to be an invaluable feature for me along with the Cellink batteries that I purchased at the same time.

The faultless reliability of my unit has won me over, I will seriously be considering the forthcoming 2k - QA100 model upgrade when it comes out (hope sooner rather than later). I hope that the QA100 model has a similar compartment to hide the connection wires as the F770 does. It seems a bit manky on the F800 with the wires sticking out and being visible (don't know why they did away with the compartment).

Last edited:
identical hardware, just the design is different

@jokiin Just to clarify, the F770 uses an Ambarella A7 while the F800 uses an Ambarella A12. They are also using different image sensors. The F770 uses a Sony Exmor CMOS while the F800 uses a Sony STARVIS CMOS image sensor. They do not have identical hardware.

@jokiin Just to clarify, the F770 uses an Ambarella A7 while the F800 uses an Ambarella A12. They are also using different image sensors. The F770 uses a Sony Exmor CMOS while the F800 uses a Sony STARVIS CMOS image sensor. They do not have identical hardware.

sorry yes you are correct, was thinking of the change between F750 to F770, will edit that post to remove the incorrect info

Back