Constanst Crashing / Freezing requiring the 'reset' button to be pressed.

Andrew Clough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously asked about this in another thread but this is becoming a common issue with my 612GW.

It was suggested that the cold was the cause so I kept the dashcam in the glovebox in the neoprene case (Nextbase) and this seemed to reduce the issue, however lately and even on the latest 5.1 firmware this seems to be still happening.

I was driving home the other night and noticed that the cam had locked up, i had to hit the reset button when stopped safely in traffic to get it going again (nice and warm in the car), a day later it did the same again and when it powered off with the button which it did not do the day before it recovered with the message on the screen 'recovering'.

My old 512G never had issues like this and when it did have a 'wobble' it was once in a blue moon.

With the wobbly mount that has to be cured with blu tak and image quality that when compared to the 512G is pee-poor (even at 1080p) - the 512G is so much sharper, you can see the grain in the tarmac where the 612GW is just a blur, let alone trying to get a reg plate.

I *really* want to ditch this cam, upon reflection it really is *not what I would expect for £250* - I am glad that I did not re sell my 512G as it is still on top on my wardrobe.

For Nextbase if they want to troubleshoot - The cam has been reset and has a suitable Micro SD card (SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB, formatted in the Cam), the latest firmware has been re applied etc. I have tried setting the Cam in 4K and 1080p and the results are the same.

The only problem is getting the glued on mount off my windscreen so I can re attach the solid 512G suction mount - any tips on this without cracking my windscreen would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

If it's really stuck then a hairdryer and dental floss is the usual ploy.

I've always managed to carefully prise them off with a screwdriver.

Well I took the cam back to Halfords today and they were very helpful. Although the assistant was not able to get through to Nextbase support he did exchange the cam for a brand new one.

I have gotten home and set it up so it can be charged overnight as per the instructions and I noted that the firmware has been updated to 5.3

Does anyone have any idea as to what has changed between 5.1 and 5.3, is there a change log?

Hopefully this one will be more stable and not freeze / turn itself off / reboot at random.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

The Halfords store did the right thing Andrew, sorry yours failed so soon.

Yes please do update the firmware, it fixes a bug that a very few customers were experiencing which corrupted the unit.

I previously asked about this in another thread but this is becoming a common issue with my 612GW.

It was suggested that the cold was the cause so I kept the dashcam in the glovebox in the neoprene case (Nextbase) and this seemed to reduce the issue, however lately and even on the latest 5.1 firmware this seems to be still happening.

I was driving home the other night and noticed that the cam had locked up, i had to hit the reset button when stopped safely in traffic to get it going again (nice and warm in the car), a day later it did the same again and when it powered off with the button which it did not do the day before it recovered with the message on the screen 'recovering'.

My old 512G never had issues like this and when it did have a 'wobble' it was once in a blue moon.

With the wobbly mount that has to be cured with blu tak and image quality that when compared to the 512G is pee-poor (even at 1080p) - the 512G is so much sharper, you can see the grain in the tarmac where the 612GW is just a blur, let alone trying to get a reg plate.

I *really* want to ditch this cam, upon reflection it really is *not what I would expect for £250* - I am glad that I did not re sell my 512G as it is still on top on my wardrobe.

For Nextbase if they want to troubleshoot - The cam has been reset and has a suitable Micro SD card (SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB, formatted in the Cam), the latest firmware has been re applied etc. I have tried setting the Cam in 4K and 1080p and the results are the same.

The only problem is getting the glued on mount off my windscreen so I can re attach the solid 512G suction mount - any tips on this without cracking my windscreen would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Exactly the same issues here, the camera shakes (well documented issue), the battery is poor and cant cope with the cold weather, anything near or below about 2oc then your dash camera needs to be taken inside the house, again not ideal if you live in the UK. I'm on my second unit and it behaves exactly the same. Shame could have been a great product but these few issues make it terrible.

Are you 100% certain you are using a genuine Class 10 U3 SD card ?

Just a thought as this seems to often be an issue with freezing units.

Yes it’s the nextbase U3 memory card recommended for the dash cam

Just checking :)

Good idea to check, I’ve seen a fair few people paying top dollar for a dash cam then getting an eBay special memory card!

What was that PC tool that M8TJT posted to check the actual SDcard speed.

Same issue here, replaced once, but still freezing after around 1 1/2 hrs. No issues with over or under heating as tested indoors. Seems like an inherent problem with the 612GW.

Good idea, but why the hell should you have to though.

did you try a different memory card?
Yes, when I returned the first camera I also returned the SD card, then rebought same model and made sure it was direct from Amazon this time - Samsung Evo Plus 128GB U3, but same problem

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 612GW 27
Back