Constant 12 volt fuse in 2004 Explorer

kenlou

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know a 5 amp constant 12 volt fuse in the 2004 eddie bauer ford explorer to connect my cam to?

Sure would appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

Welcome to DCT @kenlou :)

Autogenius LINK HERE has fusebox layouts which might help you. Or maybe a member here has a similar vehicle. General advice is to never tap into safety-related fuses (ABS, airbag, brake lights, etc).

Phil

Welcome to DCT @kenlou :)

Autogenius LINK HERE has fusebox layouts which might help you. Or maybe a member here has a similar vehicle. General advice is to never tap into safety-related fuses (ABS, airbag, brake lights, etc).

Phil
That is what I hear but I was wondering which one to connect to for a constant 12 volt source

The usual safe sources vary, but keyless locking usually does this. Even if you don't have that there may be a place for it in the fusebox with a 'hot' terminal installed. Horn is another good place to check. I don't think an 04 will have full computer-controlled power but some circuits might have delayed shutdown after ignition off and door closing.

Best way to tell which to tap is using a LED test light or a cheap DMM- either is just a few bucks to buy. Or you can ask on a car-model-specific forum; Google will bring up many. For a dashcam's low power draw any circuit with a 10A or larger fuse will have enough extra power to run your cam. Use either an "add-a-fuse" tap or inline fuse on the cam power wire to protect the car circuit, that should have it's own 2A to 5A fuse.

Phil

The usual safe sources vary, but keyless locking usually does this. Even if you don't have that there may be a place for it in the fusebox with a 'hot' terminal installed. Horn is another good place to check. I don't think an 04 will have full computer-controlled power but some circuits might have delayed shutdown after ignition off and door closing.

Best way to tell which to tap is using a LED test light or a cheap DMM- either is just a few bucks to buy. Or you can ask on a car-model-specific forum; Google will bring up many. For a dashcam's low power draw any circuit with a 10A or larger fuse will have enough extra power to run your cam. Use either an "add-a-fuse" tap or inline fuse on the cam power wire to protect the car circuit, that should have it's own 2A to 5A fuse.

Phil
I have a horn left and a horn right. They are both 10 amp fuses. These are constant 12 volt?

They usually are constantly powered. You can either try and see what happens or test with a light or meter.

Phil

Back